• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Boat advice needed

mdb6321

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
2   0
Reaction score
I am considering buying a canoe for general recreation and fishing. I live near Lake Allatoona and the Etowah River. I have 3 boys from age 9 to 16 and we love to fish. I don't have any paddling experience and that's where the experienced folks come in. I'm looking for advice on where to start, what to look for, look in a different direction, what have you. My thought is to get a canoe and we can fish either Allatoona or Etowah. Big enough to hold 3 or 4 of us. Maybe even start with one canoe, then if we like it get a second after me and the boys get a little experience. My wife and daughter may even join us. Anyone with any experience feel free to advise. Not looking to get into the whole boat and trailer thing at this time. That's a few years down the road.

Thank you
Michael

The only advice that I can give to you is this, if you buy a canoe, wear swimming trunks the first time that you take it out. I know that sounds like a smartarse remark, but more than likely you will tip it over a time or two and go swimming until you get used to the feeling of a canoe.
My choice would be a wide flat bottom aluminum jon boat. They are more stable than a canoe. They are not that expensive used. You can throw them in the back of a truck.
I'm not familiar with the lakes and rivers that you are speaking about, but if you put any boat in the river, you have to keep in mind that there is always a running current and you have to be mindful of other boats that may fly by you and could very well tip you over or sink you. I am not trying to scare you at all, I'm just stating some known facts and want you to be cautious and mindful of the dangers. I hope this helps. Best wishes, Mike

Main water on the toona is rough as HELL on busy weekends! I wouldnt even get on it in a bass boat if i could help it. For the river and back waters of toona i would try to find a flat bottom jon boat and maybe a 5hp tiller with a 50lb thrust trolling motor.

im gonna have to agree with the jon boat, ive spent a good deal of time in a canoe and in rough water it aint pretty. buddy of mine and i went out on the lake to fish in a canoe today and got slammed by a huge wake that darn near flipped us.

Thanks for the info so far. It sounds like my suspicion was right. A canoe would be ok for the river, but Allatoona is just too busy and rough for it to be safely enjoyed from a canoe. Still interested in other opinions though.

23BB5.jpgDSCN6389.JPG101_1192.jpg

One problem with Allatoona is the almost daily summertime thunderstorms that sweep up the "S's" (esses) toward Sweetwater and the Etowah basin. The water goes from calm/choppy to whitecaps in the blink of an eye. After the storms hit, water runs strong from the Etowah and it becomes very difficult to paddle up stream.

Back
Top Bottom