• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bore sight

Had a student show up to the range with a Browning X-Bolt recently. He had a scope mounted by a “gunsmiff”. Front mount was in the rear, and vice versa. Thankfully he didn’t properly tighten anything, because he would have damaged the scope tube.

Out of curiosity, I slapped a bore sight on it. Couldn’t get the reticle on paper. At 100yds, it was several feet over the target, and a foot or so right.
Gots to be mo careful. Always pay attention to detail on mounts etc.

Best money I spent in a long time was years ago when I bough a bore site kit from Midway or Brownells. Easy to use and actually helps get the scope lined up square as well. Not very expensive if I remember, but well worth the money.

Gots to be mo careful. Always pay attention to detail on mounts etc.

The owner is a fairly new gun owner. He trusted the guy at the gun shop, who holds the title of “gunsmith”, to do a proper job. He didn’t.

I fixed it, and advised him to go back to the shop and get a refund on the labor.

Just go through the classifieds section to realize how many people have no earthly clue on how to mount a sight. Irons, red dot, scope. You name it. Unbelievable.

Installed a set of BUIS on a lady’s M4. She came back in with her husband, and informed me that her husband said I mounted them backwards. I assured her that they were mounted correctly. She told her husband, “Your sights are mounted backwards, not mine.”

The owner is a fairly new gun owner. He trusted the guy at the gun shop, who holds the title of “gunsmith”, to do a proper job. He didn’t.

I fixed it, and advised him to go back to the shop and get a refund on the labor.
I have fixed 2 mounting setups out of ga firing line and one from Adventure Outdoors. Mind you, and anyone else, that I am not a gunsmith. People don't bring me **** on a daily basis. Imagine my thoughts of those "smiths" that can even mount an optic even close to correctly.

Back
Top Bottom