• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bore Sighting

BIKER13

Hen of Fame Lifetime Supporter
Indians wont bother you now cuz you are touched
1345   0
Reaction score
How accurate is a rifle that is only bore sighted? I read an article where a guy was hunting with a rifle that was bore sighted only at the shop he bought the gun at.I believe you can prolly get on paper at 25 but beyond that....???? odd someone would hunt with one.

Not a good idea to hunt with a rifle that has only been bore sighted. It will get you on paper, at best. Sometimes you can get lucky and be closer to the bull but always shoot it to dial it in. I sighted in my .30/06 that was bore sighted a few weeks ago and at 50 yards I was 16" low, kicking up dirt. My left and right were not bad but it took a bunch of clicks to bring my crosshairs up to level. Ended up with a 3 shot group of about an inch with my BAR at 100 yards. I also left it shooting 1" high of the bull at that distance. It's ready!

I agree - bore sighting just saves you a few rounds by getting you close...

I think that a proper sportsman would want to verify point of impact prior to shooting at game. At least one shot at a cardboard box lit up by your headlights if that is what it takes the night before the hunt...

No good usually! Took a gun out recently that was only bore sighted. It was nowhere on paper, at least 2' high. It was centered once I dropped elevation. I wouldn't rely on it for hunting!

what kind of bore sight? the look through the barrel then scope, then barrel? might get close, maybe. laser at 100 would be darn close on a high velocity rifle, not so much for a pistol caliber carbine or perhaps heavy rifle like 45-70. never used one of those leupold magnetic thingys.

I know my 7mm mag is 2" high at 100 yards. I put a bore sight on it today, just for ****s and grins, it showed to be 16" to the right. I'm going to the range, in the morning, just to be sure.

I had a friend of a friend show up at deer camp and hunt. He had a new rifle and gut shot a mature doe with his daughter in the stand with him. He had to shoot at the group of doe like 3 times just to get the gut shot he eventually got. Doe ran off without us having any idea it had been gut shot, and to make a long story short.......................we were teaching the kids to trail blood when we bumped the doe right in front of everyone with guts hanging out while she ran. She ran into trees, thrashed around, got up and did it again in front of the kids. Finally caught up to it and put it down. The daughter didn't like seeing that.

Come to find out.............the rifle was so new, that he had picked it up from the gun store the day before and it was only bore sighted. I had a stern private conversation with him later to let him know how bad he had screwed up and that he had possibly turned his daughter off to deer hunting.

Back
Top Bottom