• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Boresight, two lines that never meet

In boresight does the line of sight and the line of bore meet?

• Yes

Votes: 35 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters
Here are the two situations the 1st picture deals with boresight, Line of sight(red line) and line of the bore(black line) are parallel, a line of displacement (blue line) is shown sloping downward representing the adjustment of the crosshairs to the target on the line of bore. The height of the scope above the bore is along the horizontal (green) line

Attachments

• boresight111.png
    boresight111.png
    44 KB · Views: 12
Here is the same picture, with a trajectory, and two intersects. Note that the line of sight and the line of bore are still parallel, the height of scope has not change and the line of displacement intersects twice with the trajectory, even though we think of line of sight intersecting the trajectory, it is the line of displacement established by the adjustment of the sight setting that intersects not the line of sight.

Attachments

• boresight112.png
    boresight112.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 14
Dude, you're still making this much more complex than it really is.

What line the scope is on is irrelevant. The line of sight is what you are calling the line of displacement.

The line of the bore is irrelevant. Only the bullet path is important. The bullet path departs from the line of bore immediately upon leaving the muzzle. That's why bore sighting is only done at short range.

Everything else is just minutia. Bore sighting is a simple, but imprecise process. Nothing more.

Hey Bear44, thanks for the feedback. I think all is relevant from the standpoint of thoroughly explaining a subject. Sometimes too much is better than leaving a detail out that leads to misunderstanding. What I say is important is not important you say? Not important to you does not mean it is not important to others.

Hey Bear44, thanks for the feedback. I think all is relevant from the standpoint of thoroughly explaining a subject. Sometimes too much is better than leaving a detail out that leads to misunderstanding. What I say is important is not important you say? Not important to you does not mean it is not important to others.
I have a feeling that if a person did not understand what bore sighting was before reading this thread, they are likely to understand it even less after reading it. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom