• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Brass cleaning question

HGM

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
13   0
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm getting into reloading, got the books and process straight in my head but have a question for cleaning.. The brass I'm using is once fired, by me, and clean except for the carbon fouling. Do I need to clean the cases? I dont care how shiny they appear to the deer I'm shooting, just curious if I need to obsess about it for pressure and saftey... I'm trying to decide if I need to buy a tumbler or cleaner... Thoughts??

As I have been reloading for around 40 years, I can attest to the fact that obsession with "jewelry appearance" reloads is a relatively recent phenomenon!
(Literally) for over 100 years, the only "cleaning" that typical brass got was to brush out the case and use a primer-pocket cleaner. That and a quick soapy bath / rinse to clean off re-sizing lube! With really "dirty" brass, one would often give it a bath / rinse before doing anything else.

The same attention and "watch-its" that were undertaken with brass inspection back then applies today as well!

Don't get me wrong, I like "pretty" brass as much as anyone else, but have found that it just isn't worth the effort
I've use stainless steel tumbling with / without follow-on vibratory cleaning, exotic baths, Ultra-Sonic ... you name it, I've likely tried it!

For me, an initial bath in a mild citric acid / low suds detergent while performing a "bottle brush" case interior clean, rinse, dry, lube, re-size / de-prime, another bath in a mild citric acid / low suds detergent, rinse, dry, scrape clean the primer pockets, trim, de-bur / de-campfer case necks (include a primer pockets swage if necessary to remove military crimps). Load and Shoot!

Don't use any form of Vinegar to clean brass as it actually eats into it ... Citric Acid does not as it actually is (chemically) good for the brass!

Lately, I have experimented with more Ultra-Sonic and found that it gets the primer pockets extremely clean (which isn't necessary, but I prefer it!)
I am currently using a Harbor Freight US unit (2.5 Liter) and wish I could afford an 8 (or more) liter commercial unit!

Again, ALL of the time-proven case inspection steps remain unchanged and are absolutely necessary ... in inspecting a cartridge case and you have ANY doubts: TOSS / RECYCLE IT!

I will agree with Clarke on the cleaning process using a mild citric acid based cleaner. If you don't have any kind of tumbler or mechanical cleaner and are only cleaning a small amount of brass use a plastic 1 gallon jug with a good lid that seals tightly. You can put the brass and fill it with hot tap water, some low suds dish detergent and 1/2 cup of lemon juice (Citric Acid). Seal shake well and let it sit over night. Pour it out the next day and rinse thoroughly and let dry. This will actually remove most of the stains and carbon. Dry tumbling is optional. The brass will be clean enough to inspect and reload.
PS. follow and adhere to the directions in you reloading manual and everything will work out great.

I agree with the guys above.

You do need to knock the carbon off somehow. It can scratch your dies, which will then scratch your brass.

I prefere a vibratory tumbler for the task, and that is all I do to clean pistol brass.

I wet tumble my rifle brass after the cases are fully prepped--risized and trimmed. Sometimes, I run the rifle brass through the vibratory tumbler before resizing and priming; sometimes, I just wipe them clean one at a time and brush the inside area clean. It just depends on how many and what caliber.

Last note: I like to run my vibratory tumbler outside and wear a dust mask and rubber gloves when pouring the media in and out--that is just me, my IQ is low enough already.

Dad knocked off the carbon and brushed it. Never had an issue.

I do clean it with a vibratory media cleaner using (ODT recommended) Nu-Finish car polish. Makes brass nice and shiny.

Do you "need" to polish it, nope. See previous replies.

Awesome info as always guys, got em soaking in lemon water with soap right now.. they've been in for about an hour and I can see it working.. appreciate the feedback, I feel better about it. I'm sure I will be buying something in the future.. I'll have to stir the media vs sonic discussion when I get to that point :) thanks again!

One last tid bit: if you are getting it wet, knock the primers out and let it dry for a while in the sunlight, on an air vent, or ........

The primer pockets don't dry out on their own without some heat or some exposure.

OK, just an update, I did the hot water, soap and lemon juice, excellent job!! It worked out perfect, exactly what I was looking for.. I put them in the oven on 150 or so for an hour then let them sit for a day or two before I primed them. Very happy with the results, thanks again guys!!

Back
Top Bottom