• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Brass too tight?

Whenever I have a hick-up with my reloading process, the first thing I do is "go back to the basics". With "processed" brass" I make certain that the cartridge cases are "in-specification" by taking a few and checking them against the published specifications with my calipers. Straight walled "once fired" cases that vary in length (unusual but it happens) can be quite problematic in reloading and chambering. I also check to make certain that my dies are all exactly seated as called for by the manufacturer.

The Lee Powder-Through Die has an insert that allows you to flare / not flare a case depending upon how it is installed and adjusted. The flare can be adjusted through a fairly wide range ... the "wider the flare" the more likely that it will "drag" on the upstroke" ... too much flare isn't good for case-life or the ease of reloading.

After going through the above, if the "processed brass" is from a commercial source; contact them. They may be aware that they have sent you a bad batch and willing to tell you how to adjust your reloading process to overcome it, or they may replace it.

I have noticed that some brass will hang on the belling/expander die more than others. For me, it is generally nickel plated brass that hangs the most--the nickel does not like to stretch. Also, the brass could still have some sticky residue in it, even after the cleaning. Or, the nipple on the die may have some imperfections that are engraving the inside of the brass.

I have not had one hang due to over belling the case. Normally, once the metel stretches, it does not shrink back up. I have crammed many a 40 bullet into a 9mm case on my progressive press without noticing.

I have noticed that some brass will hang on the belling/expander die more than others. For me, it is generally nickel plated brass that hangs the most--the nickel does not like to stretch. Also, the brass could still have some sticky residue in it, even after the cleaning. Or, the nipple on the die may have some imperfections that are engraving the inside of the brass.

I have not had one hang due to over belling the case. Normally, once the metel stretches, it does not shrink back up. I have crammed many a 40 bullet into a 9mm case on my progressive press without noticing.

Yes! Those 9 mm's are often overlooked and surprise you occasionally ... they hide inside a .40 case and pop up when you least expect it.
Similar situation with .380's popping up in a 9 mm Luger loading situation ...

Back
Top Bottom