• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Budget AR308 build with updated range test

acmech

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
0   0
Reaction score
When Aimsurplus started selling Alexandria Pro-Fab complete 308 uppers and stripped lowers for a great price, I wondered how good can they be. Usually if a deal it too good it isn't a deal. Well after researching and digging up forum posts and reviews around the net, I decided to buy the set and build one myself. The upper was $459 plus shipping and the lower was $136 including shipping, by the time I bought a UTG A2 308 buttstock, a DPMS lower parts kit and mag, the total cost put me at around $735. My prerequisites for a AR308 were, I wanted something with at least an 18 inch barrel, a forend with a rail, and a midlength gas system. The lower is machined from billet 7075T-6 and the upper is 6061T-6, stainless barrel and Nitrided BCG. They fit together very well with no rattle movement.

I had considered the Palmetto State Armory build, the lower was cheaper but the uppers they sold usually only came with a 16 inch barrels and no rail. Another problem for me with the PA-10 is that it isn't guaranteed to be compatible with DPMS. In fact they don't recommend swapping parts.

I settled on the Alexandria Pro-Fab parts after seeing two forum posts on AR15.com one guy stated that he had put 1,000 rnds through his build this year and hasn't had any problems yet. Another guy had gotten a good deal on a DPMS LR308 and he just swapped his Alexandria Pro-Fab upper on and it was good to go. Alexandria Pro-Fab is one of those companies that has been making parts for other people for a while. They make around 10,000 AR15 BCGs a month for other manufacturers.
Anyhow, I did test fire the rifle after building, only put 10 rnds through it but everything worked fine, I'm waiting for high rings for my scope so I can put my optics on and do some serious shooting with it.
It's worth considering if you interested in a AR308, here are links to the parts.
lower
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1PF308L8450011&name=Alexandria+PRO-FAB+.308/7.62X51+Lower+Receiver&search=alexandria

Complete upper
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XPF30818U8459900&name=Alexandria+PRO-FAB+.308/7.62X51+Upper+Receiver+Group&search=alexandria

Here is my build

20160527_113744a.jpg

Ok, took the rifle out to 100 yards today and fired some russian silver bear through it and some 168 gr. HPBT reloads.
With a 6 lb trigger pull I got a 1 11/16 group with the 168 gr reloads and with silver bear point of impact dropped 3 inches and I got a 2 1/8th group. The scope is a Vortex optics Diamondback 4-16 scope with vortex high rings.

168 gr HPBT

20160603_123415.jpg

Russian silver bear

20160603_123440.jpg

20160603_124017.jpg

Looking good man! One question, and its not meant to start crap: Why opt for the mid length system over rifle length? Just curious...

Looking good man! One question, and its not meant to start crap: Why opt for the mid length system over rifle length? Just curious...

Well I just wanted more than a carbine length gas system since I've read a midlength will shoot "softer". A rifle length gas system might even be better. I don't understand the popularity of a 308 in a 16 inch upper myself, but each to his own. Oh, and don't worry, I welcome criticism, you can't know everything.

Well I just wanted more than a carbine length gas system since I've read a midlength will shoot "softer". A rifle length gas system might even be better. I don't understand the popularity of a 308 in a 16 inch upper myself, but each to his own.
Yeah Im right there with you on that... Carbine + Big A$$ round = no fun at all...

It's surprisingly hard to find a 18" .308 barrel with a rifle length gas system. To me, that seems to be a natural combo, you get the longer gas system in a more maneuverable barrel with less recoil, but apparently most barrel manufacturers don't see it my way. They're out there, but they only seem to come that way on the most expensive barrels. I wanted rifle length when I built mine, but couldn't justify the extra $200 just to get a rifle length gas system.

That's a right fine .30 caliber rifle you got there Darrin and it groups well for a 6 pound trigger.

I have polished the sear to smooth out gritty triggers and installed some after market triggers. There are a lot of different AR trigger makers in the market and I ended using KNS pins for the drop in triggers I picked up.

Back
Top Bottom