• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Building a house at the beach......(questions/ideas from the experts).

What's the hurricane insurance going to cost?
Yup....a lot.
Price we pay for beach living in FL.

In the long run, it's worth every penny for the memories with my son. It is him and I -- I lost both my parents years ago, and he lost his mom recently. Can't put a price on memories my friend.

I would second the remodel a built one. Where my mom has a home there is constantly being more built. the problem I see is that the crews don't seem to move fast at all. I've seen some homes take close to 5 years. they come in late and leave early and don't get anything done while they're there

Hard to get people to work down there.Friend just finished up a home in Port St Joe,all kinds of problems with contractors.I can have him call you if you wish.

best to have no loan and then you do not need ins as it is high. Port St Joe has a lot of ones for remodel within less than mile from bay.

If you build new it will have to be to all the latest codes

Read : expensive

If you get an existing one
It’s grandfathered in

My parents live in a condo in st Augustine built in the 70s
It would cost approx 3X to constrict it new verses buying one in the complex due to the codes

Yup....a lot.
Price we pay for beach living in FL.

In the long run, it's worth every penny for the memories with my son. It is him and I -- I lost both my parents years ago, and he lost his mom recently. Can't put a price on memories my friend.
Depends on what flood zone you are in. I was surprised beyond belief when I found out what our insurance would cost. We sold our house on Lake Lanier and purchased a house in Flagler Beach Florida earlier this month. I carefully searched for a lot that was in the “X” flood zone. From everything I had heard, I was fully expecting extremely high rates and was checking costs prior to getting serious about specific properties. Our house is about three blocks from the beach and is on a canal about 150 yards off the Intracoastal. The back half of the yard along the canal is in AE, but the house itself sits a little higher in X. Our annual home insurance is LESS than what we were paying for our house on Lake Lanier (not in a flood zone). That’s including what we pay for an additional flood insurance policy even though it is not required as it would be if we were in AE.
Having been brushed by Matthew a little over a year ago and then the worst flooding in memory from Irma in September gave us good indication of how our house would handle things in the future. While the road flooded and a few other houses on the block had water damage, no water made it up to the house we bought. Makes me feel a little better about future storms, and the fact that they had two bad storms just within the past year or so puts the odds in our favor that it should be a while before another.
The FEMA website has some good maps for checking flood zones by address and depending on the county, you may also have good info about flood zones by property lines if they utilize the QPublic site for their tax assessor county info.
Of course I get a kick in the gut when we started looking in to changing our auto insurance on the vehicles to be moved down there... Those rates are a LOT more. A few trips up or down I95 or over to Palm Coast it was evident why...

If you buy a lot/concrete pad and put a 5th wheel/camper on it, no hurricane insurance.

That is in the works....similar to what i have at my hunt club. A nice 5th wheel camper w/slide. Like a 2nd home.
Not many lots around there allow mobiles/campers, but did find one........

Depends on what flood zone you are in. I was surprised beyond belief when I found out what our insurance would cost. We sold our house on Lake Lanier and purchased a house in Flagler Beach Florida earlier this month. I carefully searched for a lot that was in the “X” flood zone. From everything I had heard, I was fully expecting extremely high rates and was checking costs prior to getting serious about specific properties. Our house is about three blocks from the beach and is on a canal about 150 yards off the Intracoastal. The back half of the yard along the canal is in AE, but the house itself sits a little higher in X. Our annual home insurance is LESS than what we were paying for our house on Lake Lanier (not in a flood zone). That’s including what we pay for an additional flood insurance policy even though it is not required as it would be if we were in AE.
Having been brushed by Matthew a little over a year ago and then the worst flooding in memory from Irma in September gave us good indication of how our house would handle things in the future. While the road flooded and a few other houses on the block had water damage, no water made it up to the house we bought. Makes me feel a little better about future storms, and the fact that they had two bad storms just within the past year or so puts the odds in our favor that it should be a while before another.
The FEMA website has some good maps for checking flood zones by address and depending on the county, you may also have good info about flood zones by property lines if they utilize the QPublic site for their tax assessor county info.
Of course I get a kick in the gut when we started looking in to changing our auto insurance on the vehicles to be moved down there... Those rates are a LOT more. A few trips up or down I95 or over to Palm Coast it was evident why...

YES, i forgot to mention. Flood zone X would be the only way. would not consider A or B

Hard to get people to work down there.Friend just finished up a home in Port St Joe,all kinds of problems with contractors.I can have him call you if you wish.

I may take u up on the offer if I go that route.

best to have no loan and then you do not need ins as it is high. Port St Joe has a lot of ones for remodel within less than mile from bay.

Everything I see is pretty expensive for having a "bay" and not a beach.

Mexico beach is running mid-high $200's for small house few blocks from the beach.
Should had bought during recession, it was almost 1/2 price sale down there. Jeez!

Build one on stilts like this one down here in Woodbine across from the boat ramp. Many years ago there was a Jim Walter homes demo lot in Macon and that's the first place I saw a beach house on stilts. I still want one. Yes that's some kind of elevator on the back of it. It's about the size you would need for a person in a wheelchair. That was my guess anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_20171125_152115581.jpg
    IMG_20171125_152115581.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20171125_152250964_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171125_152250964_HDR.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20171125_152329371.jpg
    IMG_20171125_152329371.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom