• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Building a polebarn/garage/shop-advice apreciated.

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
60   0
Reaction score
So i cleared out a site and had it graded last spring.
Planning on putting up a pole building soon.

Was wondering if any of you guys had done the same
and would like any helpful tips,where you got your
plans,techniques used,total cost,etc.,

Thanks

I built a stick built traditional frame garage, put it on a foundation (two story) and poured the floor too. The footer size was huge, glad I asked beforehand.

Go to your buiding department before you start, trust me it will save you a lot of headaches to ask them beforehand how They want it done. They often will give you handouts of details and requirements.

One that I thought was kind of strange was tying in the rebar in my footers with a ground wire all the way back to the electrical panel, but because its attached to the house and shares the same electrical panel it all needs to be grounded together.

Off the top of my head here's a couple of things I always remember:

If the floor doesn't have to be pristine finished you can use a cement truck's wash out and try to smooth it yourself as best you can. This'll work for barns and outbuildings, but not so well for shops where you'll be on your feet in it a lot.

Do all the wiring yourself. The Book "How to wire a house" by Caudwell is a good one. Georgia Power (at least used to) have a rule that a licensed electrician had to be the one to attache the hot wires to your sub panel. That alone can be costly.

When digging the trench to run wire go ahead an run the 220. You may never need it, but it'll be good to have. If you don't go with 220, do ensure you "over wire" and "over panel" the project. In other words, put in a bigger panel than you think you'll need and run a bigger wire.

And when doing the trench, spend the extra dough and rent the real ditch witch. The "walk behind" trenchers are slow and beat the mess out of you. I actually dislocated my left thumb from using one!

I found a bunch of generic plans on line and designed my own. The exterior is hardi-board 4x8 sheets since it was the cheapest and easiest thing for me to get. I used a metal roof for the same reasons.

Those may seem trivial, but the trencher thing will always stick in my mind.

Best of luck, be careful and God Bless,

So i cleared out a site and had it graded last spring.
Planning on putting up a pole building soon.

Was wondering if any of you guys had done the same
and would like any helpful tips,where you got your
plans,techniques used,total cost,etc.,

Thanks

In 1972 I put up a small poll barn/shop, 24 x 32, with used telephone poles, sawed into 10 feet or so, and used beams across poles and joists and rafters from the old cattle sale barn in Marietta on Powder Springs street. I got Mr. Marsh in Kennesaw, sawmill was downtown Kennesaw, to rough saw some 2 x 6's to go around horizontally top and bottom of poles and 1 x 10's, and 1 x 3's to put up vertically for board and batten on the walls. I just re-roofed it this past Sept-Oct with architectural shingles. I also put in two sears metal garage doors. This is a pic made in 2013 with silver truck parked on oil change rack.
Flowe Garden-Lawn 002.JPG

the only reason you would have to get permits from the county, is if you were going to have the power on a separate meter. The power co requires inspection to hook up service. If you have room in you house panel to support it, go that route. Even if you don't, upgrade your panel to a higher amp and then run it out of your panel. It's a lot easier than dealing with the county or city. They will make you spend a lot of money on worthless bs. And also, the power co charges quite a bit for new service now. It's not like it used to be.

I had to get a permit and inspection here in Houston county for a building without power or water. Gave me a hard time even though I had a drawing drawn and certified by a GA licensed engineer.

Cobb EMC is a bit more lenient on wiring yourself. I built an addition to my house in 1997 and wired it all from outside drop, meter base, panel and all. They just came out and hooked up hot to my drop. Also a couple of years ago I noticed by main panel breakers arching a little and saw they had melted some off the bus bars, so I installed a new panel. Called EMC and they said remove meter, do the work, reinstall the meter and then call them when I was through and they would come out and put a new seal on the meter - no inspection. I only have 110 volts to my garage, you can see wire hanging in pic, it goes up to back porch with a plug and I just plug it in when I want power at the garage - a big extension cord about 110 feet long.

Back
Top Bottom