• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Building a polebarn/garage/shop-advice apreciated.

In 1972 I put up a small poll barn/shop, 24 x 32, with used telephone poles, sawed into 10 feet or so, and used beams across poles and joists and rafters from the old cattle sale barn in Marietta on Powder Springs street. I got Mr. Marsh in Kennesaw, sawmill was downtown Kennesaw, to rough saw some 2 x 6's to go around horizontally top and bottom of poles and 1 x 10's, and 1 x 3's to put up vertically for board and batten on the walls. I just re-roofed it this past Sept-Oct with architectural shingles. I also put in two sears metal garage doors. This is a pic made in 2013 with silver truck parked on oil change rack.
View attachment 695074

looks good.

$2 a foot and I will load them. I have about 14-18 poles left. Could make a package deal if you want them all. I had about 100 total cut for a guy and he didn't need them all. These will last longer than anything you could buy from any lumber yard

thats a good deal and if i had a way of transporting
them,i'd might take you up on it.

the only reason you would have to get permits from the county, is if you were going to have the power on a separate meter. The power co requires inspection to hook up service. If you have room in you house panel to support it, go that route. Even if you don't, upgrade your panel to a higher amp and then run it out of your panel. It's a lot easier than dealing with the county or city. They will make you spend a lot of money on worthless bs. And also, the power co charges quite a bit for new service now. It's not like it used to be.

my brothers shop is on a separate meter and i think they
charge him a 20-30 bucks a month whether he uses it or
not.

i agree that running off your existing panel is the way
to go.

If you don't mind spending about an hour on YouTube watching the process of a pole barn built a good bit cheaper, look up the farmhandscompanion channel and watch his 'building an old-fashioned pole barn' videos. There's either five or six of them, and watching will give you ideas as well as be entertaining.

None of ours have a poured floor.

Sized, drilled holes for the poles, supports, rafters, runners for the tin roof. Tin sides too.

Some of the ugliest lumber I have ever seen was used for the runners. Most of it was free from the local sawmill.

Back
Top Bottom