• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Building a polebarn/garage/shop-advice apreciated.

I had to get a permit and inspection here in Houston county for a building without power or water. Gave me a hard time even though I had a drawing drawn and certified by a GA licensed engineer.
Yeah they are a pain. I've built many buildings without it. The permit office told me that I didn't have to if I wasn't taking service from power co. But, if they ever sold the property, and the one buying it could want to see if it were inspected through the county or city and if it wasn't then they could require you to have it inspected by a professional engineer which could be costly.

I had to get a permit and inspection here in Houston county for a building without power or water. Gave me a hard time even though I had a drawing drawn and certified by a GA licensed engineer.

I think it just depends on how busy they are. I got a building permit with a sketch and they never came out to inspect. I have a gravel floor and then covered with treated 2/6's when a local lumber company liquidated as it was cheaper than concrete at the time. They did come out for all the inspections on the house addition except the gas and the final inspection because it took me 2 and 1/2 years to complete basically a one bedroom house addition of about 800 sq feet as I was working full time and traveling 40 per cent of the time. Gas company told me how to test the pipes for leaks and then they came out and installed another meter and hooked it up and left.

I had to put more re-bar and wire in the foundation than the whole building weighs! I could build a 10 story apartment building on this foundation. It's just for my tractor and lawnmower. Houston county sux sometimes.

image.jpeg
I have these for sale. 16-20' long true 6x6 cut from power(utility) poles

image.jpeg

I built a 30 x 40 in Carroll County, so permitting was a breeze. They didn't ask for details, just construction materials (mine was all metal). My total cost was about $20,000 with me doing all labor myself and only paying for concrete prep and finish. I purchased a Versatube kit, which included all metal except doors (about $13k), added two 10 x 10 roll up doors (about $1200), a single walk through 3'0" fiberglass door ($300), and paid about $5k for the concrete (monolithic slab with crosscut relief joints and rat ledge). Mine was built for storage only, so no wiring or plumbing. I used my frontend loader to help set the metal framework - 12' height and 16' at ridge, so this was a big task for one person. If you don't want to tackle all phases of construction or are really looking for just a pole barn, whether enclosed or open, would recommend LRK Builders out of Cartersville, and have them do a turn key project.

$2 a foot and I will load them. I have about 14-18 poles left. Could make a package deal if you want them all. I had about 100 total cut for a guy and he didn't need them all. These will last longer than anything you could buy from any lumber yard

Back
Top Bottom