• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Bullet feeder on Lee 1000

Cobalt 60

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
119   0
Reaction score
Anyone using the bullet feeder that Lee makes for this unit? I finally got my bench built, press set up, and ready to make a few rounds to test, and I can see that placing the bullet in the flared case is gonna be a little bit of a pain. Does the bullet feeder work well?

I haven't tried one on mine that is set up for .45acp. Here is a good video from Youtube with someone using it for 9mm. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mzJlSmIeBg. The guy hits the nail on the head when he states something about "babysitting" the press. It what you have to do with the Pro 1000. With the mixed reviews I have decided I can live with the loading rate I get now. If I were doing 9mm I might be tempted to get it because the smaller bullets would be more of a pain. I'm sure it would work but it's like everything else on that press. You have to tweak it to keep it running right.

Ryan, I was timid to try it with my .45 setup. Taking my time I can push out 300+ rounds an hour hand placing the bullets in. Not sure how effective Lee's bullet feeder would be at increasing that. I may revisit the idea when I order my 9mm press soon. Getting the 4 tube case feeder was a great decision though. By all means be the guinea pig and let me know how the bullet feeder works!

Ryan, I was timid to try it with my .45 setup. Taking my time I can push out 300+ rounds an hour hand placing the bullets in. Not sure how effective Lee's bullet feeder would be at increasing that. I may revisit the idea when I order my 9mm press soon. Getting the 4 tube case feeder was a great decision though. By all means be the guinea pig and let me know how the bullet feeder works!

Will do!!!

Ok, guys - finally got the bullet feeder, and it works quite well! Using it for .45.

One caveat - if you are using hollow base bullets, you can only load about 5 at a time in the tube or they won't feed. Still way faster than feeding by hand.

I'm Cobalt 60, and I approve this message.

Good Information ... thanks!
Insomuch that I always clean my brass after resizing / depriming, I use my 1000 primarily to do that
as the shell collator / feeder is excellent ... I usually do the actual priming & reloading on my Hornady LNL AP
as the 1000 does require a lot of babysitting otherwise

Right now I am depriming and resizing all my brass first, then hand priming (my girly hands are getting strong) then loading using the powder through die and the bullet seating die and bullet feeder. Seems to work well. when I am done with the HB bullets I will probably load some flat base ones so I wont have to stop over five lever pulls.

Still working great so far. I plan on adding back in the depriming/sizing process along with priming later on down the road when I have everything else down smooth.

Now I need to procure a bullet puller. Anyone bringing one to the swap meet?

>I always clean my brass after resizing / depriming

Why bother cleaning your cases if you size the dirty cases? Cleaning is to prevent the dirt from damaging the sizing die.
I always come back from the range after shooting several different cartridges, so I sort, inspect and deprime prior to cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom