• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

bullet hits my tree

I'm so glad that neither your son nor you were injured or worse. Arced bullets travel long distances and can be very harmful.

nobodies fault just wrong place wrong time, I am glad no one was hurt... I would probably go chat with the neighbor dad and just let him know where you were hunting...

Not true at all. The fact is, every bullet you fire is yours and you are responsible for where it goes and what it does. Knowing what is in the direction of your bullet's path is the first thing that should be on your mind.

"It was an accident" don't fly with me......stupid is not an accident, but this case could be ignorance and that's why I'm speaking with the land owner. This should be a teaching moment for anyone reading this post, not just the irresponsible shooter

Last edited:
Common sense dictates you know where the bullet goes when you pull that trigger,but common sense has gone the way of the Dodo bird.Bunch of freakin idiots out there and another group to justify for them.

not going to get into a Christmas morning wizzing contest, what I meant is there was no intent to harm, of course if the bullet would have hit someone there would have been fault, but even in court it would have been ruled an accident..

again glad no one was hurt and he took time to chill, if he goes talk to dad with an attitude it will get you nowhere.. Talk calmly as you can like grown up to the dad and it will go a long way he will deal with his son..Trust me I would..

Ruled and accident and no punishment handed down are two very different things and that depends on how hard someone pushes the DA. I assure you that I have no patience for stuff like this. If you have no better training than the shooter in question you deserve what you get when you get hammered by a judge.

As I've already stated, I will speak to the land owner with calm, confident, respect while not allowing the incident to be ignored. They know where WE hunt, they wanted to join our club, but we just don't have the room for two more hunters. There have been 4 wheeler tracks to every spot that we hunt in the last three years while hunting this land. There is no excuse for shooting in the air in the direction where you know someone is hunting.

I was hunting a muzzle loader hunt in Cohutta many years ago and I can remember the sound of the bullet coming thru the air and hitting a tree not far from me. I barely heard the shot so I think the guy was shooting up hill at something and missed.
Wild sound hearing a bullet wheeze by.

If you really want to know the truth I have an issue with your "story" ..

you said..

"After the shot was fired my son and I look at each other and I whispered "22" and he nodded. With the second nod of his head we heard a "ZIIIIP, WHACK!"

you should have heard the impact before the shot as the the speed of sound is slower then the speed of the bullet ...

Back
Top Bottom