• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bullets loaded backwards.

My guess is yes. The only flat spot is the point. To make the bullet go forward the force would be applied at an angle where a greater amount of force would have to be applied at that angle for the same effect as if it were flat. Maybe?
I see the closed "system" point. I think it might slow the bullet getting started moving slightly for increaced initial pressure, maybe more blow-by from the lack of an expanding base then velocity loss.
I want to know the answer now...

Last edited:
Interestingly in WWI it was common for spotters in the trenches on both sides to use plate steel with peep holes to protect themselves from snipers. However, it was eventually discovered that by flipping the bullet around in the case caused the steel to flake off into the face of whoever was hiding behind it. Crude but effective.

Interesting. Must be one heck of a pressure spike to split the cases and flatten the primers like that. I'd be more willing to load pistol bullets in a rifle case than to try backwards rifle bullets. Actually, in my 20yrs of reloading, the thought of trying backwards bullets has never crossed my mind.

I've actually got a WW2 era 30-06 AP cartridge that didn't sound or feel 'right' when I picked it up after removing it from the original enbloc clip. I shook it very slightly and felt something moving around inside (other than powder). After pulling the bullet from the mouth of the cartridge I finally was able to get another bullet to come out from the inside of the case, but it was in backward like shown above. Apparently someone fouled up big time at the ammo plant when that one was manufactured. I'm glad that it didn't make it into one of our soldier's rifles. I put both bullets back as I found them and put it away in my little 'collection'. Anyone else ever hear of this happening?

I would like to try a bullet that is made of the front sections of two bullets fused together, so that it's pointy on both ends. With a fairly long cylindrical section in the middle to engage the rifling. The barrel twist rate would have to be really fast.
But what I'd be going for would be a Sears-Haack body shape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears–Haack_body

I don't know if it's practical. But I'd give it a try.

I don't get folks who just want to reinvent the wheel. I'm sure no one has ever heard of a 308 Round Nose bullet, except Sierra, Hornady, Speer......

Now the bullet that fact that he brings up the missing lead, the first time you see comet tails on paper is just plain cool

I have read about hunters in Africa back several decades ago who while out plains game hunting with soft nose bullets, get cornered or treed by a buffalo or elephant. They would turn the soft nose bullet around to make a fmj projectile so it would penetrate deeper into the tough hide and muscle of the bigger animal.

It worked for some of them as they lived to tell the story. Myself, I don't think i'd be doing it unless in a life or death case as they were in.

Back
Top Bottom