• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

bumpstock ramifications

to sum it up, bumpstocks now fall into the camp of lightning links??

Almost... The LL did change the trigger action to mimic that of a full-auto gun. With bump stocks they had to say that somehow having a recoil operated assembly around the trigger did the same thing, even though you still only have 1 trigger 'operation' per bullet.

What's really sad is that the ATF could have avoided the whole thing in the beginning by simply asking SlideFire to add a latch or a cam that had would allow the 'pull to fire' aspect to work, but prevent a second shot without some kind of effort. It would have still met SF's stated goals, but would have made it useless for bump fire. I guess that's 20/20 hindsight, but the ATF really rotated the pooch on this one.

NRA will likely "Glom onto" any potentially successful legal challenge just like they always do. Provides good "we helped!" Print coverage in fund raising ads. Fudds will not know or forgive them for the whole "take another look", "we support orange Hitler" letter. This is Trump and the NRA 100%. You support this shyte you are the worst 'gun owner' Quisling imaginable, bumpkin stock owner or not.

NRA will likely "Glom onto" any potentially successful legal challenge just like they always do. Provides good "we helped!" Print coverage in fund raising ads. Fudds will not know or forgive them for the whole "take another look", "we support orange Hitler" letter. This is Trump and the NRA 100%. You support this shyte you are the worst 'gun owner' Quisling imaginable, bumpkin stock owner or not.

Yup, this was Trump and the NRA, but from what I can see it was a way to limit the damage from a no-win situation. Kicking the can down the road and putting the ATF on the hot seat avoided some potentially ugly legislation. Just take a look at the law FL passed on 'rate-increasing devices' and think back to the Bloomberg-created federal bills that would essentially have banned any trigger or action changes at all.

I can't fault either Trump or the NRA for going this route. It's not pretty, but politics never is, and it kept legislation out of the picture at a time politicians in even 'gun friendly' states were caving in (again, FL) to the Bloomberg groups and their media shills.

Throwing out the NRA baby with the bathwater is ridiculous though. They are still the 800lb gorilla and generally have been doing good work for decades now. They can't fix everything though, even though people seem to expect that somehow. It's like the state groups that expect the NRA to come in and save their bacon at the drop of a hat. They are the "National" Rifle Association. The states should be handling things themselves and not look for the NRA to swoop in and save the day every time they get in a fight.

That all being said, I really would like to see some new blood on the NRA board though. Folks like Adam Kraut (who is one of the lawyers suing the gov't) and some others who are more aggressive than some of the Fudd's we have on there now.

The NRA does nothing if it won't increase revenue. We don't need more amicus briefs tagging along with local lawsuits. There was going to be a gun ban with a repukican controlled Senate and House and a "conservative" president in the White House? Seriously? That's ridiculous. You can't have it both ways.

Assuming this is a legitimate post, Chucklenut, belonging in the "law and order" section and not the "stupid stuff" section of ODT:

Answer 1: Congress passed laws years ago restricting both machineguns and machinegun conversion kits-- things used to convert semi-autos to full autos. That's actual statutory law, not any ruling or fill-in-the-gaps stretching of the law by ATF. Recently ATF stretched these laws by saying bump stocks ARE machinegun conversion parts sets. Therefore, they are NFA restricted as machineguns.

The penalty for having one is up to 10 years in prison. 3 would be more realistic.
The crime would be called unlawful possession of an unregistered, untaxed machine gun.

Answer 2: The bump board "could be" classified by ATF as a machinegun, too, but they have not so ruled. So if they decided to make an issue out of it, you'd probably only have it confiscated, not be arrested and prosecuted as a felon. Only after they publish their rules in the Federal Register does the public have notice, and thus it's not a Due Process of Law violation to punish people criminally for breaking that publicly-known law.
I agree that the atf considers bump stocks to be machine guns.

So the punishment for a lightning link, dias, and a bump stock would be the same. There is no differentiation between converting an ar15 to be truly full auto and owning a bump stock. Makes a whole lot of sense :doh:

The NRA does nothing if it won't increase revenue. We don't need more amicus briefs tagging along with local lawsuits. There was going to be a gun ban with a repukican controlled Senate and House and a "conservative" president in the White House? Seriously? That's ridiculous. You can't have it both ways.

It's the lamest excuse I've ever heard in my life that "Congress was going to do something and this saved that from happening". Several times I've had the NRA respond to my questions about this with simply "Congress had the votes"

So they're telling me 20 first graders were killed when Obama was president and Congress was much more liberal and they were able to block all legislation, but now with much more of their endorsed candidates and POTUS in office they wouldn't be able to do anything?

The simple fact is Slide Fire and bump stocks doesn't equal any money for the NRA. They ain't here to support our rights, they're here to get paid.

Why buy a bump stock when a 1/2" or better stick and a rubber band works better. Fyi.
FB_IMG_1577930681721.jpg

Back
Top Bottom