• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Burning through brake light switches?

rustyboy

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
Rear Admiral
86   0
Reaction score
My wife is trying to get every last mile out of her 2002 Subaru Impreza. About 6 weeks ago, we noticed the brake light on when we were getting out of the car one night. I did some research and settled on the brake light switch going bad. All my electrical work showed the switch to work most of the time on the bench, but I replaced it anyway. Today, she calls me to let me know she cannot get out of park, which then leads to me realizing the brake switch is not working, again. Again, it tests out on the bench, so I am kind of scratching my head.

I can swap it out again, but am wondering if this is a symptom of something else going bad. Any input is appreciated.

I'm on the hunt for the integrated control module. My guess is it is sending too much current, toasting the switches.

Sounds more to me like you have a possible loose wire connection in the circuit for the switch. Most likely at the plug connector at the switch itself. If the amp (current) draw was too high you would be blowing the fuse. You also may not have the switch adjusted correctly. If you have a VOM check for voltage at the switch. You should have voltage coming to the switch when it is open ( only on one side) and then have voltage passing through the switch when it is closed( on both sides).

Back
Top Bottom