• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Butchering your own deer

the_great_white

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
122   0
Reaction score
If you would like to save yourself some $$$, here's a nice little series i found on youtube. I've been butchering my own for quite a few years and it's fairly simple and something you can do yourself. I always try and share my experience with the new guys and try and teach them and hope these videos help some of those who want to try it for themselves. This isn't exactly how i do it, but it will get you a start and you will work into your own technique before long.

why pay someone to do something you can do yourself relatively easy?

The first time you try this yourself, it may get frustrating at times, but shoot more deer and gain more practice! :D It gets easier and easier!

Give it a try!

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked in a meat processing facility in the summer during my college years, so I have no problem. Good videos.

The most valuable tool in that video isn't the sharp knife or the steel, it's the meat hook. If you don't have one, get one. They make the job go twice as fast and eliminate hand fatigue from grabbing slippery cuts.

I have done many at times and have also used processors
Most I've done is 7 in one morning. Seems like everyone shot a deer but me that morning and everyone was too hungover or didn't know how.

Most peculiar thing was that all 7 of those deer only had one backstrap and one tenderloin....lol

Back
Top Bottom