• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buy a kit or piece one together?

tuck6114

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
18   0
Reaction score
I would like to start reloading, mainly .45acp and .308 for practice and hunting. But I'm not sure where to start when it comes to buying equipment? I like the idea of buying a kit because it should come with most of what I'll need. I see presses in the classifieds here sometimes, but I have no idea of pricing and quality and what works with what. Looking for some direction and advice?

Personally, I'd recommend getting a decent progressive press. They're not a whole lot more expensive than a single stage once you add up all of the extras needed with a single that you don't need with a progressive. (Powder dropper, hand primer, trays, etc.) A press, a caliper, and a scale and you've got the basics to be up and running.

I would suggest a turret press. Consider it a single stage with a rotating head. I used the Lee turret for many years before moving to a progressive press. Start with the .45 before moving onto rifle loading.

I would suggest a turret press. Consider it a single stage with a rotating head. I used the Lee turret for many years before moving to a progressive press. Start with the .45 before moving onto rifle loading.

I second this. They are great to learn on and come in a kit to get you started for a reasonable amount.

Turret is easier since you aren't having to mess around with die depth all the time. Even with lockrings it seems you have to fiddle with single stage every now and then. Progressive is nice but it's a lot more complicated to get up and going.

Kit vs press depends on what exactly you plan on doing and preferences. A kit is nice since you won't get halfway through and discover you are missing a lube pad or something. Also there is usually decent savings on the kits.

Not sure how far of a drive Cabelas is but they seem to often have a press kit or two in their bargain cave.

I think that the Dillon 550 or the Hornady LNL progressive would turn out to be the cheapest over the long run. You will never have to replace it, and you can use it as a single stage press if you like. It does come with a powder dispenser.

I would lean towards the Hornady for rifle and the Dillon for pistols; they can each do both.

FYI -- the 45 acp and 308 will use the same shell plate.
Hornady will give you 500 bullets if you buy their press And 100 each time you buy a set of dies.

Back
Top Bottom