• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Buying a pistol for my grandson

If the grandson is not able to buy the gun because of the aforementioned reason, you are buying it on behalf of him. That's a straw sale. I've done this for a living as well, and as soon as I find out that someone's ID doesn't match the form, the buddy, grandpa, etc all of a sudden wants to buy it as a gift. Hell no. I'm not stupid, and I'm not risking my freedom and FFL over your ineptitude.
You can buy a gun as a family member and give it to your son as a gift, all day long, every day. That's not a straw purchase. If you buy one solely for the purpose of handing it over to some non family in the parking lot, yeah that's a problem. We sell and order guns all the time that the husband, wife, parent may order, pay the bill and even 4473 it and immediately hand it to their spouse or kid in our presence. And if they get home and gift the gun to their 17 year old son, that happens all the time. You can also buy a gun, keep it for a week and make a private sale with no penalty on small scale basis.

What if there is no purchaser? NO ONE paid for the gun.
The person who will be purchasing it is the buyer. Just as if they walked into a brick and mortar and picked a gun off the wall. They are the actual purchaser, just as it's spelled out in question a.

If person X fill out the form and pays for the gun, great. If person X fills out the form and person Y whips out the credit card to pay. Nope. Straw sale.

You can buy a gun as a family member and give it to your son as a gift, all day long, every day. That's not a straw purchase. If you buy one solely for the purpose of handing it over to someone in the parking lot, yeah that's a problem. We sell and order guns all the time that the husband, wife, parent may order, pay the bill and even 4473 it and immediately hand it to their spouse or kid in our presence. And if they get home and gift the gun to their 17 year old son, that happens all the time.
Of course and they don't even have to be a family member. Relationship doesn't matter, you're legal or you're not. You can't legally break the law for a son or mother, but if you're buying it because they are not able to, that's a straw purchase.

You guys shoot me down on this, but one option is to find out whether the store offers gift cards. If they do, you as the giver just buy a gift card in the name of the recipient. If not, give the recipient a pile of cash.

Then, he uses that gift card (in his name) or cash to make the purchase him/herself. The transaction is therefore clearly with the gift recipient's. 4473's get completed, and the gift recipient gets to take posession of his gun without any ambiguity.

Edit: I see Red Squirrel 556 Red Squirrel 556 beat me to the punch.

You guys shoot me down on this, but one option is to find out whether the store offers gift cards. If they do, you as the giver just buy a gift card in the name of the recipient. If not, give the recipient a pile of cash.

Then, he uses that gift card (in his name) or cash to make the purchase. The transaction is therefore the gift recipient's. 4473's get completed, and the gift recipient gets to take posession of his gun without any ambiguity.

Edit: I see Red Squirrel 556 Red Squirrel 556 beat me to the punch.
I guess the question is whether the gun has already been paid for or not.

Of course, but if you're buying it because they are not able to, that's a straw purchase.
You can designate or give that gun to your 17yo kid as a gift. Obviously you would need to supervise, waiver them at a range and may legally own the gun, but the kid could still consider that gun in the family safe, as his. I know that is splitting hairs.

Back
Top Bottom