• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying in state from an out of state resident

Think about the problems you might run into if you have to drive through an anti-gun state with the firearm you just purchased several states away, and you happen to get pulled over...

Speaking of touching borders, decades ago, one of my wife's uncles drove from Texas through Mexico on his way to a Central American country, but never made it. He was pulled over in Mexico and his car was searched by the corrupt Mexican police. No drugs, guns, designer watches, or anything like that, but they did find a spent .22 casing that had rolled under the driver's seat from the last time he went to the range. ONE empty .22 round, and he was arrested and thrown in prison where he eventually died from tuberculosis.

Think about the problems you might run into if you have to drive through an anti-gun state with the firearm you just purchased several states away, and you happen to get pulled over...

Speaking of touching borders, decades ago, one of my wife's uncles drove from Texas through Mexico on his way to a Central American country, but never made it. He was pulled over in Mexico and his car was searched by the corrupt Mexican police. No drugs, guns, designer watches, or anything like that, but they did find a spent .22 casing that had rolled under the driver's seat from the last time he went to the range. ONE empty .22 round, and he was arrested and thrown in prison where he eventually died from tuberculosis.

So, like rolling through New Jersey then. (Not joking)

To clarify things because there is so much misinformation in this thread: A non licensee cannot buy or sell any firearm to the resident of any state other than one who resides in the same state as them without going through an FFL. Not saying I agree with this, just saying that is the law so no, you cannot legally buy a long gun from a resident of any other state regardless of location unless it goes through an FFL on one end or the other.

^^^^^ so to glorify this .. when you do that your really just registered with the govt that you now own this gun? we like it or not
If you want to hold the opinion that a 4473 is some kind of registration then I guess so. What ever. It is actually just a bill of sale and the only time the feds have access to it is when they request a trace on one because it showed up at a crime or it was recovered in stolen property. It happens with me maybe 2-6 times a year out of 3-4 hundred that just gets stashed in a box in the corner and no one ever sees. There is no registration in GA. Even saying that "the gun is in my name" is not accurate. It was sold to you at some point. For it to be "in your name" that would mean that there is a registry somewhere there isn't. At least not to my knowledge. A trace is simple. They go to the manufacturer and see who it was shipped to, usually a distributor. Then they go to the distributor and find out which FFL it was sold to then to the FFL. If they come to you because you bought the gun from the FFL, all they want to know is if you still have it or who you sold it to. It has been this way for decades. Tell them who you sold it to or don't. That is your call. That is usually the end of it. Quite often when they come to you to ask about it is because it was recovered in stolen property and they want to return it to the rightful owner.

If you want to hold the opinion that a 4473 is some kind of registration then I guess so. What ever. It is actually just a bill of sale and the only time the feds have access to it is when they request a trace on one due to it showing up at a crime or it is recovered in stolen property. It happens with me maybe 2-6 times a year out of 3-4 hundred that gets stashed in a box in the corner. There is no registration in GA. Even saying that "the gun is in my name" is not accurate. It was sold to you at some point. For it to be "in your name" that would mean that there is a registry somewhere there isn't. At least not to my knowledge. A trace is simple. They go to the manufacturer and see who it was shipped to, usually a distributor. Then they go to the distributor and find out which FFL it was sold to then to the FFL. If they come to you because you bought the gun from the FFL, all they want to know is if you still have it or who you sold it to. It has been this way for decades. Tell them who you sold it to or don't. That is your call. That is usually the end of it. Quite often when they come to you to ask about it is because it was recovered in stolen property and they want to return it to the rightful owner.
I understand now, as before thanks man, and MERRY CHRISTMAS

If you want to hold the opinion that a 4473 is some kind of registration then I guess so. What ever. It is actually just a bill of sale and the only time the feds have access to it is when they request a trace one due to it showing up at a crime or it is recovered in stolen property. It happens with me maybe 2-6 times a year out of 3-4 hundred that gets stashed in a box in the corner. There is no registration in GA. Even saying that "the gun is in my name" is not accurate. It was sold to you at some point. For it to be "in your name" that would mean that there is a registry somewhere there isn't. At least not to my knowledge. A trace is simple. They go to the manufacturer and see who it was shipped to, usually a distributor. Then they go to the distributor and find out which FFL it was sold to then to the FFL. If they come to you because you bought the gun from the FFL, all they want to know is if you still have it or who you sold it to. It has been this way for decades. Tell them who you sold it to or don't. That is your call. That is usually the end of it. Quite often when they come to you to ask about it is because it was recovered in stolen property and they want to return it to the rightful owner.
This is correct. How it is 'supposed' to work. However, I have read that in the past ATF agents sometimes will go to an unsuspecting dealer and ask to see the 4473s whereby they then start photographing them or copying names and guns (in Arizona, for instance). Also when the dealer goes out of business, all those 4473s get turned over to them. Anyone who doesn't think ATF is developing/has their own gun list is living in dreamland, IMO.

This is correct. How it is 'supposed' to work. However, I have read that in the past ATF agents sometimes will go to an unsuspecting dealer and ask to see the 4473s whereby they then start photographing them or copying names and guns (in Arizona, for instance). Also when the dealer goes out of business, all those 4473s get turned over to them. Anyone who doesn't think ATF is developing/has their own gun list is living in dreamland, IMO.
It’s a registration, plan and simple..

Back
Top Bottom