• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

buying my first rifle

The 10/22 is a great plinker and a versatile platform. You can literally remove the stock barrel with 2 allen screws and replace with a myriad of aftermarket offerings.

But yeah, you're going to be limited by what you hunt.

Maybe start with a .22 rifle. If you buy one used you can probably sell it for what you paid for it and then move up to a Mosin.

Or keep them both!

Everybody needs a good .22 rifle. If you can get only one rifle, then you need a .22lr. The Ruger 10/22 is one of the best on the market. It is a jumping off point for most shooters. It will kill all small game out to 75-100 yards. Skilled marksmen can take a deer with them but since it is not legal and is not exactly a humane way to kill a deer, you will need something larger for deer. You need at least something of .223 or larger in center-fire calibers for deer.

You will never go hungry if all you have is a .22 rifle. There are plenty of squirrels, rabbits, ground hogs, birds, etc., to kill and eat with your .22. Also considering your small budget, you can get a lot of ammo for cheap going the .22lr route.

though I like the historical sigificance of the mosin, and the fact that it just looks bad ass with the spike bayonet. I really couldn't find a use for it. It is cheap to shoot, and you could take down a moose with it, but that lacquered ammo always seemed to gum up the bolt and reciever. After about 8 rounds, the bolt would get sticky and be a pain to work, not to mention it kicks like an angry mule. I'd get a 10/22 and have some fun. i feel a 10/22 could feed you better in the long run anyhow.

I would not recommend the Marlin 60, at least the modern ones. I got rid of one I had a while back. While it shot accurately, it tended to gum up easily and I would have to end up removing the spent case with a sharp object until I could clean the chamber. It was also a pain to take apart. The 14 round tube was also a hassle to reload if you were at the range plinking.

The Ruger is better in as much as I haven't had one spent cartridge jam on me and I haven't had to worry about reloading. Just get yourself a few magazines and go have some fun. The only drawback I can find on the Ruger 10/22 is the slick butt-plate. It does not like to stand up in a corner by itself. You can get a rubber butt-plate replacement for it however. Also the first thing you need to do is purchase a Polyurethane recoil buffer and replace the steel one, it slides right in very easily. It is only a few bucks and makes a lot of difference. It makes the action quiet and reduces felt recoil. It also extends the life of the action because the bolt is not coming back and banging on the steel recoil buffer.

Back
Top Bottom