• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

C&R Bound Book

Late on the reply but you do not have to log the purchase pieces you had prior to the license, but you will have to log selling them.

Do you have some other records of purchases? I don't know how much trouble it would be, if you were audited and had some not on the list.

What I did was log them anyway with original purchase date and just made a note that C&R not used in purchase.

Do you have a link for having to "log out" pieces that aren't in your book/that you had prior to the license?

i do have several guns that i had before getting the C&R so didnt wanna get all this messed up and not have everything i needed if ever had some sort of audit. Guessing it really doesnt matter if you list them on the book then .

It was my understanding through info from some old timers that had been collecting a long time and even been audited before that the only firearms you have to log, is ones you purchased with your C&R license and if you purchase from a store using a 4473 it doesn't need to be logged or if you purchase from a individual, say from the forum here...it doesn't have to be logged.

It was my understanding through info from some old timers that had been collecting a long time and even been audited before that the only firearms you have to log, is ones you purchased with your C&R license and if you purchase from a store using a 4473 it doesn't need to be logged or if you purchase from a individual, say from the forum here...it doesn't have to be logged.

ok just finished reading a good bit of info on this from diff places . From what i seen it doesnt mater how you receive the firearm you must enter it into the book if it was bought after you received your C&R. Even say a CMP gun or one that is on a 4473, if it is bought after your C&R date then it has to be in the book if it is C&R classified gun .

ok just finished reading a good bit of info on this from diff places . From what i seen it doesnt mater how you receive the firearm you must enter it into the book if it was bought after you received your C&R. Even say a CMP gun or one that is on a 4473, if it is bought after your C&R date then it has to be in the book if it is C&R classified gun .

Yep, you're correct. I was either mistaken or misinformed, either way I know now. Doesn't really change anything on my end though. I'd say probably %99.9 of the C&R firearms I purchase are through distributors, I just have one Finn I need to add and I purchased it last week. That's crazy though, seems like extra clutter in the bound book....on the other hand, it's always good to have them logged somewhere in case of theft or fire I suppose.

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2001/01/011801-openletter-ffl-collectors-curio-relics.html

Last edited:
yeah i am gonna use copys of the sheets i printed for my bound book and track all the info anyways just as a back up for all my weapons not just the C&R ones

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that a loose leaf book does not meet the ATF's definition of a "bound book." Their concern is that a loose leaf book can be easily changed by replacing a page. They want a permanent, unchangeable record book.

Back
Top Bottom