• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

C&R license

Quacker

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
65   0
Reaction score
I’m sure this has been brought up before but I’m planning on getting my C&R license. What’s your history with this? Pros/Cons? What’s the process like. Not wanting to “deal” but will still be doing my normal sell/buy to further my collection.

Thought I heard somewhere that you can get deals on shipping, etc from brownells and midway?? Is this just #fakenews?

I have had one since the late 90's. The process is pretty easy, just contact the ATF (online is easier) for the C&R application, complete it, take a copy of the completed application to your local sheriff's office and send your completed application along with a check, money order or your cc info to the ATF. Be sure to send the citizenship form in too. The application asks for much the same info as a 4473. When you receive your license DO NOT sign the original. You will want to make copies of the unsigned original. Most FFL's want an ink signed copy in order to ship directly to you.

I have had one since the late 90's. The process is pretty easy, just contact the ATF (online is easier) for the C&R application, complete it, take a copy of the completed application to your local sheriff's office and send your completed application along with a check, money order or your cc info to the ATF. Be sure to send the citizenship form in too. The application asks for much the same info as a 4473. When you receive your license DO NOT sign the original. You will want to make copies of the unsigned original. Most FFL's want an ink signed copy in order to ship directly to you.
Thanks for that! Bout to start filling out paperwork.

I have had a C&R for a long time and it comes in Handy when buying off Forums for surplus rifles (as stated before) and some of the few gun sites that are left.
I use it from time to time on other sites to order in some surplus rifles and pistols.
I use mine at least 2 to three times a year on ordering in Things I do not have in my collection.
Back years ago I used it to fill my C&R Safe and today the deals are far and few in-between but when they do show up it is nice just to order straight to my house.
To me it is worth just having it and it is easy to keep it up.
I have a Bound book that I keep on my computer and print a hard copy to keep in my safe (the ATF likes to see hard copies from what I have been told).
My .02 worth

I had one twice. It was great when the deals were to be had from places like CDNN, SOG, Century etc. A lot of the Milsurp rifle/pistol deals have long dried up and a good bit of businesses that I dealt with no longer give "wholesale" discount to C&R holders. I offered to send my C&R to a distributor and they told me "don't bother, we don't honor C&Rs anymore". I thought that was kind of rude.

Not trying to piss on your parade, do as you will - I just know a lot has changed since the early 2000s when there were some deals still to be had ..... Like a $75 FR8, $125 K31, $70 M38 etc. etc. etc.

Back
Top Bottom