C&R refinish question

Flammenwerfer

Default rank <4500 posts
Úlfhéthnar
61   0
Reaction score
I've got a few that are in pretty bad condition as far as looks. I was talking to a friend about sanding the stock down and re-oiling them. He said it was against the ATF rules to do so......I thought that only applied if you were to, well lets say take a c&r SKS and put it in a tapco stock?

Am I in the wrong?

Yes you can refinish it. From my understanding I would have to pull out the book to give you the rule bit you can bubba a cnr as well. After you sporterize it you have to transfer it to your personal collection and can no longer be treated as a cnr gun.

first.....refinishing is no problem
second....if you must refinish DO NOT use sandpaper......it wont help as most of the dark color comes from deeply soaked oils......get a heat gun and wipe often.

if you must refinish DO NOT use sandpaper

THANK YOU!!! Please don't sand it! There are methods to get the "bumps" out (wet rag and hot iron) ... but leave some character in the old girl! What kind of C&R are you refinishing? I have experience with British Enfields specifically - feel free to ask any questions.

IMG_1116.jpg

Theres a certain brake cleaner ive used in the past that will strip the all the oils out it looked like I had bleached it. Take light sandpaper 400 I think. Not rough enough to smooth out the top and not mess with any stampings.

Mine take stain really well after that.

Back
Top Bottom