C96 Broomhandle Mauser project

Awesome. I have one in way worse shape than yours. I replaced the bolt stop and springs and it is safe to shoot but it is tough to find 7.63 shotgun shells to get the most out of the smooth bore. I'll check our Redman's.

Always had a love / hate thing with the broomhandle. Always been a little put off by tales of the bolt stop failing and the bolt carrying on in a straight line backwards :)

Always had a love / hate thing with the broomhandle. Always been a little put off by tales of the bolt stop failing and the bolt carrying on in a straight line backwards :)

I hadn't heard those stories. Thats a pretty beefy bolt stop...will do some research.

How does the wood stock work with one of these? Is it kosher because it's so old?

I've read yes and I've read no.

Specifically, if the stock is serialized to the gun it's grandfathered in. If you buy an aftermarket stock and add to it it's an SBR.

So...get those electro pencils ready!!!

It is my understanding that an original or reproduction stock on a C&R Mauser are both legal. I'm also not your lawyer so use your own personal judgement. Sample from an ATF reference letter:

ATF has previously determined that Mauser Model 1896 pistols with reproduction stocks, which duplicate or closely approximate the originals, have also been removed from the provisions of the NFA. Copies of the Mauser pistol using frames of recent manufacture, with shoulder stocks, are still subject to the NFA.

C96 Broomhandle Reproduction Stock - Reply From the ATF

I hadn't heard those stories. Thats a pretty beefy bolt stop...will do some research

I've no idea if it's true, but I've been told to look for signs of battering around the cutout in the slide. Apparently once play starts to develop the stop starts banging back and forth and can shear off.

I've no idea if it's true, but I've been told to look for signs of battering around the cutout in the slide. Apparently once play starts to develop the stop starts banging back and forth and can shear off.

Makes sense, as with all milsurps, to over-scrutinize them when you first get them. Safety first and always...

The internet info seems to consist of many folks repeating what they read somewhere else on the internet (typical), but not very much 1st hand info to be had. Will certainly continue with the safety scrutiny and replace all worn parts.

Back
Top Bottom