• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

"Cajun chicken cassoulet"

drewga11

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
66   0
Reaction score
I'm not sure how "Cajun" this recipe actually is aside from the seasoning, especially since I changed it quite a bit from the original recipe. I think I altered it to the point of not even being a "cassoulet" anymore, but I didn't feel like trying to come up with a new name for it. What I ended up with is closer to a stew or gumbo, I think, and I usually serve it over rice, but it is really tasty.

1 lb Cajun smoked sausage (or Andouille), cut into ½ inch slices

6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs

1 tsp salt

1 large or 2 medium onions, chopped

2 or 3 green bell peppers, chopped (I use green, red, and yellow)

2 or 3 celery ribs, chopped (optional, I don’t use it)

1 or 2 garlic cloves, chopped

2 (16oz) cans cannellini beans

2 cans diced tomatoes

3 cups chicken broth

1 package of okra, sliced (may use frozen okra, but I prefer fresh)

2 tbsp Cajun seasoning (rough estimate)

1 to 2 tsp black pepper

2 to 4 large jalapenos, sliced (optional, I don’t always use them)

Cook sausage in a skillet over medium heat, 4 to 5 minutes or until browned. Remove sausage and drain on paper towels.

Sprinkle chicken with salt (I also sprinkle a little paprika on it), and add to skillet. Cook chicken over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes per side or until browned. Remove chicken from skillet.

Add drippings from skillet, onions, celery, bell peppers, and garlic to large pot. Cook, stirring often, 5 min or until onions are tender. Add beans, tomatoes, chicken broth, okra, and seasonings. Slice sausage and chop or shred chicken and then add both to pot. Cover with lid and simmer over low heat for 2 to 3 hours.

Serve with or over rice.

Back
Top Bottom