• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Calling all Ruger 10/22 gurus

Honestly, sell both the barrel and stock for $60 and buy a $300 basic 10/22. You’ll come out ahead without the hassle.

ETA: You've already said you want a different stock, so effectively you're starting with the barrel. At best, the OEM barrel is meh. It's designed for maximum reliability rather than accuracy. You can send it out and have it tuned for $60 or something, or you can buy a better barrel for $100.

You might be able to piece together a rifle for less than $250, but it will be hard. There is a reason people buy a new rifle as the basis for a build, sell or throw away the stock and barrel, and use the other parts to build what they want.

And with a new build you *really* run the risk of wanting slightly better parts and wind up with a $600 10/22. Ask me how I know...

You can always build a single shot open bolt 22, by making a receiver out of 3/8 black iron schedule 80 pipe. In parts you will spend less than 20$, maybe less that 15$.

I would say that you don't have a 10/22; you have some 10/22 parts.

My advice, if you're building a "plinker" is to go to your local gun store and ask them to contact you if a used 10/22 comes in. If it's a good price, buy it. My LGS called me when they had a used 10/22 come it with a pink stock - I paid $150.

Or watch all the forums and buy a 10/22 when someone has one for sale.

Remember the receiver is the "firearm". So if you order a receiver you'll have to have it shipped to an FFL who may charge you to do the paperwork. So receiver, plus shipping, plus tax, plus transfer fee - and you're still missing parts.

Also remember than a Marlin 795, which does NOT have the aftermarket support of the 10/22, is still an excellent, low cost plinker.

I would say that you don't have a 10/22; you have some 10/22 parts.

My advice, if you're building a "plinker" is to go to your local gun store and ask them to contact you if a used 10/22 comes in. If it's a good price, buy it. My LGS called me when they had a used 10/22 come it with a pink stock - I paid $150.

Or watch all the forums and buy a 10/22 when someone has one for sale.

Remember the receiver is the "firearm". So if you order a receiver you'll have to have it shipped to an FFL who may charge you to do the paperwork. So receiver, plus shipping, plus tax, plus transfer fee - and you're still missing parts.

Also remember than a Marlin 795, which does NOT have the aftermarket support of the 10/22, is still an excellent, low cost plinker.
That's a very good insight.

Thanks to all ODT members for their input and knowledge. I think I might just let this go to a new home or set it aside for now but keep an eye out for any parts/parts guns.
This .22 would only be added to the. 22 caliber collection the family has. We probably have around 15 .22's from revolvers, single shot, semiautomatic and one pump. Ranging from the about the 30's to present day and multiple brands.
Once again thanks everyone.
David

That's a very good insight.

Thanks to all ODT members for their input and knowledge. I think I might just let this go to a new home or set it aside for now but keep an eye out for any parts/parts guns.
This .22 would only be added to the. 22 caliber collection the family has. We probably have around 15 .22's from revolvers, single shot, semiautomatic and one pump. Ranging from the about the 30's to present day and multiple brands.
Once again thanks everyone.
David
You have the barrel and stock?

I'm in the same boat, getting a nice laminated stock today and now I need a rifle to drop in it...

Things are coming along with the build, just not as quickly as one would hope for. But its getting there one piece at a time.
Started out with just a barrel and polymer stock that someone had painted a flat black. For what reason is beyond me, it was already black! And it was a very bad paint job at that, lots of overspray that would come off on your hands. Was able to strip it all off, and now it looks normal again.
Would like to give a shout out to Georgia Dawg and Pathfinder5243 for helping out with a few parts I was looking for. Thanks guys the parts are greatly appreciated.
I am still looking for a few items. I still need a bolt and charging handle. Along with the v-block and screws and the pins and buffer. If anyone has any of these laying around not in use or extras shoot me a PM.
Thanks ODT family you guys are the best.
David

Back
Top Bottom