• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Camping scare stories.

Any of y’all heard of the Donner party? About 10 years ago my mom was living in San Fran and we flew out to visit, decided we would all drive up to Reno. Along the way we decided to stop at donners pass and see the monument. The minute I stepped out of the car I had the creeps, we walked through the park for awhile and I started feeling very sick, I was also extremely cold even though the temperature was in the mid sixties. My wife noticed it first, I was the only one out of four people with visible breath, I felt incredible sadness and hunger and was becoming very irritable by the time we made it to the last cabin site, my wife read the plaque for that one and said we need to get the hell out of here. The gist of that plaque was that a family of five had resided there and the wife and three children died and the husband/father had eaten them to survive and when the rescue party came in he had gone completely insane.

Any of y’all heard of the Donner party? About 10 years ago my mom was living in San Fran and we flew out to visit, decided we would all drive up to Reno. Along the way we decided to stop at donners pass and see the monument. The minute I stepped out of the car I had the creeps, we walked through the park for awhile and I started feeling very sick, I was also extremely cold even though the temperature was in the mid sixties. My wife noticed it first, I was the only one out of four people with visible breath, I felt incredible sadness and hunger and was becoming very irritable by the time we made it to the last cabin site, my wife read the plaque for that one and said we need to get the hell out of here. The gist of that plaque was that a family of five had resided there and the wife and three children died and the husband/father had eaten them to survive and when the rescue party came in he had gone completely insane.

i know the Donner story very well.
yes the symptoms you describe happens often to people that visit that location.
its never the whole group, just 1 or 2 maybe. crazy huh?

i know the Donner story very well.
yes the symptoms you describe happens often to people that visit that location.
its never the whole group, just 1 or 2 maybe. crazy huh?
It was very crazy and similar has happened to me at other locations with a dark past, if it’s a gift it’s one I don’t want!

Back in the 90s me and a buddy of mine would head up to North Carolina to the little Tennessee river off needmore road and camp and fish. Was always at least 1 group of campers around that were living/squatting/ or whatever it is. One time we actually had a conversation with one and he invited us to come hang out one night have a couple beers and STS awhile. He preceded to tell us how he was on the run from the law in Florida, and just drove and camped, worked odd jobs and moved on. He was a sketchy dude, but alone and wasn’t scary, just the kind ya want to keep an eye on. Pretty sure camping isn’t allowed along that part of the river anymore.
Also some nice houses on the mountain overlooking needmore. One has a sign that says
- welcome to my beautiful house, now leave! -
That’s a story for another day.....
Guess you have to move a lot when you tell everyone you meet you're on the run from the law.

These are always the scariest ones because the monster looks just like you or me.
Until he opens his mouth. He was very unstable. He worked for a friend of mine and threatened to kill him and his family. Friend sent family away and staged the house to look like they were all home asleep. He stayed up all night with another friend waiting for him to show up for the welcome. He never showed and killed young woman shortly thereafter. Sad as hell I so wish he would have come to the house in North Fulton.

When I was a teenager a friend(he's also on ODT) of mine and I would camp out in the wood lot behind my parents house. Wasn't much else to do since we were too young to drive and lived out in the country. So one Friday or Saturday night we're back down in the woods, tent set up, had something to eat and just setting around poking at the fire like young fire bugs do.

I got tired of it and hit the sack. Sometime later my friend came into the tent scrambling around looking for something. I asked what he was doing and he said he was looking for the only flashlight we had with us. It was one of those dim 2 D cell flashlights about as bright as a lightning bug. He found it and I went back to sleep.

So next morning I ask him what the commotion was about. He said:

"I was sitting looking into the fire and putting a few more pieces of wood on. I looked up and across the fire from me was something but all I could see was two red eyes looking at me."

I asked him what he saw but whatever it was had gone by the time he got back out there.

I live in a smaller rural county, we may have one homicide every year or two. When I was about 18 a guy shot and killed another man in front of a store front in our old Bi-Lo parking lot in broad day light with plenty of witnesses. If memory serves correct I think he also ran over him as he fled the scene.

This just happened to be the same night my church was having a young mens camping trip on the river on a piece of property another member owned. We had all heard about the shooting and didn't think much about it, until later...

So, one of your traditions at these camping trips was to play a giant game of hide and seek. There was one guy that won every year. He would usually fall asleep while hiding in the woods and come back to the campsite at 4 or 5 in the morning. It was everyone's main priority to find him.

As a bunch of the kids and adults had already took off to go hide, another church member shows up to let us know that the shooter had fled the scene and had crashed his van at a bridge a few miles south of us on the same river and was believed to be heading our way. Throughout the night we could hear dogs tracking up the river getting closer.

There was really no way to quickly and efficiently gather everyone to leave since we were all scattered around the woods playing hide and seek. A few adults and some of the older teens (myself included) abandoned the game and started going to find as many of the kids as we could to bring them back to the campsite.

I found a group of 4 boys around age 10 and under and told them to come with me back to camp. They were all upset because they said Butch (the guy I mentioned that was the hide and seek champ) was cheating. I asked how he was cheating and they said they had found him on the edge of the river and when they hollered that they found him, he got down in the water and kept going and acting like he didn't hear them. This was at about 11pm or so, so identifying someone could be challenging.

As it turns out Butch was on the side of the field in the woods opposite from the river. The next morning we found out that the killer had been apprehended about 2 miles north of us and had stayed on the river the whole time he was on the run, so he came right through our campsite. No one saw or heard him, just the young kids that saw whoever they did.

Back
Top Bottom