• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can anyone identify this shotgun?

elmo

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
39   0
Reaction score
I know what it is but sometimes it's fun to see if anyone else will know what this collectors piece is. Was given to me this XMas... passed down.

It's a 410 and made in Fulton NY.

imageshack.com_a_img673_4348_cZNyWb.jpg

imageshack.com_a_img673_1126_xYiZeM.jpg

imageshack.com_a_img538_6271_MN7ai6.jpg

imageshack.com_a_img910_2014_7AdZiK.jpg

imageshack.com_a_img537_6191_eCG0DP.jpg

imageshack.com_a_img908_958_y8tGBc.jpg

View attachment History-of-LC-Smith.pdf

You guys are sharp. That's correct.. It's an Elsie in 410. There were 1 410 made for every 500 12 gauge according to a plant workers testimony.

I'll write to the LC Smith Collectors Society and get a Cert Doc on it but from what I can tell it was made in 1926 and the research says 1926 was the first year of the LC Smith 410's. Will be very interesting to see just how far it goes back to the first one made. There is a stamp error made by the smith. The third number was stricken over with a 2. You can see where his dye got mixed up and a light 4 was struck first. All the rest of the numbers are correct and plainly stamped.

The artist who painted their hunting dog logo was actually the head engraver. He loved hunting dogs and painted about 200 of them. In the eye of the bird there was always one red drop of blood which was his way of showing the kill. He was also visited by the FBI occasionally because he assisted in the engraving of the money plates back then. I can't remember the name right now but I will get it all written down.

From what I can see using a search is these 410 Elsie's are pretty rare and up there in value. Even the FeatherWeight Fields like this one. It's very tight, great original finish and the stock looks very good. I can't find any corrosion. It was purchased by my Step Dad's Dad in '75. He bought it from a Widow who's husband had it before they got married. They were married for 47 years when he died in '74.

According to a Historian there was a General Store across the street from the factory in Fulton where the shotguns were stacked in a barrel during the depression. $15.00 each to feed your family.

imageshack.com_a_img538_2566_xMlf7k.png

It's very cool I think. Thought I would share instead of locking it up out if sight.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom