• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Can anyone recommend a lower end RC car?

Traxxas is the name in RC..

Traxxas says that all the time, but in fact they are the redheaded step child hi-point of rc. They take a beating and are fairly rugged, but real rc guys will point and laugh at you if you bring one to the track to race, and rightfully so because you will get lapped by everyone :)

That being said they are perfectly fine for backyard bashers and do take some abuse.

Spend a few extra bucks and get one with the brushless motor and esc or one that says its lipo ready. Putting a lipo battery in a non lipo ready vehicle can equal your house burning to the ground when the battery gets over discharged.

If you spend the extra money on a brushless car and lipo you will be able to recoup a decemt portion of your money back if he gets tired and decides to sell it

This thread brings back memories when I raced R/C thru my high school years.
There was an indoor track over in Riverdale and I ran an Associated RC10. That thing was cutting edge back then with its aluminum tub chassis and electronic speed controls were just coming out!
I remember when Traxxas came into the game too. They offered a lot of bang for the buck.

We have three of the ECX torments. They run about $150, are really tough and you can get parts for them at any hobby shop. He can start off with it stock for now and you can always upgrade it later on. Two of ours are now brushless running lipos and they're almost too fast. I don't think they come with a charger though. I picked up a pretty decent charger from horizonhobby.com I think.

Traxxas says that all the time, but in fact they are the redheaded step child hi-point of rc. They take a beating and are fairly rugged, but real rc guys will point and laugh at you if you bring one to the track to race, and rightfully so because you will get lapped by everyone :)

That being said they are perfectly fine for backyard bashers and do take some abuse.

Spend a few extra bucks and get one with the brushless motor and esc or one that says its lipo ready. Putting a lipo battery in a non lipo ready vehicle can equal your house burning to the ground when the battery gets over discharged.

If you spend the extra money on a brushless car and lipo you will be able to recoup a decemt portion of your money back if he gets tired and decides to sell it

Yeah, keep in mind that we're going from a $50 Bass Pro Raptor so anything is going to be a huge upgrade. Granted, the vehicle is for a 2nd grader, so I like the fact that the Traxxis offers a 50% power "training mode", which it would most likely stay on for now. We certainly have no plans to race, I just want something that will work.

I do see that the VXL is brushless and has a few upgrades over the XL-5. From what I've read it's cheaper to get the VXL than upgrade later. However, going from a $50 Bass Pro Raptor to a $200 XL-5, and then almost talking myself into the VXL at over $300 is quite the jump.

Just so you know before you think about racing R/C cars LOL, this thing is over $1000.00 ready to race! Part of the reason I quit racing.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    416 KB · Views: 19
ECX Torment 1/24 scale around 80.00 RTR and the 1/18 scale 100.00 RTR and you can get all the parts for them if it breaks,I got one for my 5 yr old and it still runs good, still hasn't broke anything after a year running

Just so you know before you think about racing R/C cars LOL, this thing is over $1000.00 ready to race! Part of the reason I quit racing.

Yeah this is just for driving around in the backyard so any of the Traxxas would be an amazing improvement I'm sure. But like most things I'm wondering if brushless is worth the money for the vxl.

Brushless motors last much longer and work more efficient. They also run faster for when he gets better at driving. I believe they make a brushless slash as well.
ETA just looked and the brushless I'm thinking of is the 4 wheel drive.

Back
Top Bottom