• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can someone explain Surefire lights to me?

Lazarus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
39   0
Reaction score
I've decide to finish my MK18 clone that never was. Trying to find what like they use and it look like most Mod 0s are running Surefire lights. I don't mind Surefire but can someone explain why the M951/M952 lights are so expensive but they only have a 65 lumen output?

This is the light I found on Surefire's site:
http://www.surefire.com/outlet/m952-kit01-millennium-weaponlight.html

The mini Scout is cheaper, has 300 lumen but no IR lens or tape switch. But really I'm just confused as to why the military use of the M951 is so prevalent giving the low lumen output.

For the type of work this weapon is designed for 65 lumens is all that is needed. In fact having super high power light on a rifle my not be all that great for CQB. Now why the hell anyone but an operator or a rich person would pay that much for a weapons light that gets turned on 3 times a year is beyond me.

For the type of work this weapon is designed for 65 lumens is all that is needed. In fact having super high power light on a rifle my not be all that great for CQB. Now why the hell anyone but an operator or a rich person would pay that much for a weapons light that gets turned on 3 times a year is beyond me.

Yea I guess so. I mean I know about whiteout, splash, blinding or whatever you want to call it but why is it so expensive? Is it because of the IR kit? I know their tape switch is $90 alone. I might get one, not sure. That Surefire mini scout looks good, can get one of them for $200 but sans tape switch. The Streamlight looks even better at $100 and 625 lumens.

I don't do CQB operations, I'm just a dude protecting his family so the lumens are not as important to me as the cost. Surefire is more expensive because they are built like a tank and they will last through 1000's of operational duty cycles. Since I might do 3 "duty cycles" a year then the quality of Streamlight, or others at that price point, is more than sufficient for my needs. Again, you can not go wrong with Surefire, but I would use the extra bucks for ammo for training, or for a quality red dot, etc.

OK well I got to tell you guys. TLR-2 HL G. Has just sort of blown my mind. Not only can I light up our entire backyard, I can light up my neighbors back yard also. I was holding the laser on a deer in the back at about 100 yards last night. I was telling my wife that if that was a bad guy, or if we actually wanted to hunt, we would be in shape. I can easy light up a bad guy in the woods at 100yds.
Midnite

Kind of silly but it is presently strapped to a 9mm. I am getting another for my favorite AR.
g-19-b.jpg

Kind of silly but it is presently strapped to a 9mm. I am getting another for my favorite AR.View attachment 1110301

I have a TLR-1s that is pretty solid and bright. Looking for a clone correct light though so its either a Surefire M962 or a variant like the M951 or an Insight M3X for a Mod 1 specific.

another reason is that the military is slow to change their specs. So when they originally speced out the surefire that 65 lumen was probably a good LED at the time. Similar to computers, the LED market changes almost monthly. I dealt with LED weapons light for a while for a local company and every time I'd call CREE they would have something new/different/more efficient than the last time I called. sometimes even cheaper!!

realistically, anything around 100 lumen is fine for any type of indoor lighting. Much more than that, and it's blinding to everyone. 200+ is great outside and if you needed to light up something far away.

The companies big push was to build in different output levels for the lights, with smooth adjustments up and down instead of just High/Medium/Low so you could adjust it to a level, and have it come on and off at that level, but have the option to go full output (600+) with a quick press of the on/off button. They also did a wireless rail mounted pressure switch and another with a patented waterproof adjustable beam.

Back
Top Bottom