• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can someone school me on the different shotgun gauges?

right that is what I mean you can do anything with a shotgun, but what specifics or characteristics make a shotgun be more useful for home defense, than a skeet\bird hunting shotgun. for example a Mossberg 88. I know it can be used for home defense but is it also good enough for skeet shooting, or duck hunting?

Ok let me ask this, what can I do with a shotgun besides being a home defensive weapon?

Shotguns are the most versatile of all firearms. You can use them for home defense, hunting deer with slugs, hunting waterfowl, hunting dove and quail, sporting use - shooting skeet, trap, etc. and just plain having fun!

For a home defense shotgun, unless you are very slight and/or don't like recoil, go with a 12 gauge in a proven platform like the Remington 870. I would recommend a pump action for ease of use and they are less expensive than autoloaders. The beauty is that you can buy an 870 with an 18 inch barrel, buy a ribbed, longer barrel and a slug barrel, and you can do anything you ever wanted to do with a gun except take long, accurate shots that simply require a rifle.

Any shotgun can be used for home defense. Now its on to how you want to use it.
For instance, sport shooting. You want a high end gun capable of being used alot hundred rounds at a time multiple times a year
Casual hunting, High end is not needed. Just a gun that will hold up for the years and only need to be able to handle a 100 rounds or so a year.

It's great for home defense because it can hit a wider target with its spray of pellets, and not have the likelihood of going through a wall and hitting someone in the next room, next apartment, next house.

right that is what I mean you can do anything with a shotgun, but what specifics or characteristics make a shotgun be more useful for home defense, than a skeet\bird hunting shotgun. for example a Mossberg 88. I know it can be used for home defense but is it also good enough for skeet shooting, or duck hunting?

If you ask someone who shoots skeet or hunts ducks and has a fancy Italian shotgun, no. If you are the guy who was shooting 22 out of 25 clay birds next to me the other day using a basic 870, then heck yeah! A basic shotgun will do 90 percent of what a $5000 shotgun will do, in the right hands.

An 18 inch barrel with no interhcangable chokes will make those activities more challenging, but you can certainly do it! Just don't show up to shoot skeet with a side saddle shell carrier and a tacticool light mounted. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom