• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

can you hunt coyotes year round on WMA land?

Realtor

Default rank 5000+ posts Sponsor
Buying or selling real estate? PM me for Discounts
375   0
Reaction score
i have read two different things on WMA sites..

one stating that there is a certain time of the year you can hunt them and second saying you can hunt all year round??

can anyone clarify?

anyone have any WMA success stories they want to share?

That's a hard question to answer and we went all through it a month or two ago.
I'll try and recap what I remember for you.
If I recall correctly!

The general consensus was to call DNR and ask and make sure you get a name, because everyone doesn't say the same thing.

I remember that you can kill a hog or coyote with whatever gun you are carrying, for whatever is in season.
So if August 15th you're in the woods for squirrel you'll either have a shotgun or .22, so you could use those, but you can't hunt squirrel with a high powered rifle, so you can't be caught with one of those.

Sorry, but that's about all I remember bud.

That's a hard question to answer and we went all through it a month or two ago.
I'll try and recap what I remember for you.
If I recall correctly!

The general consensus was to call DNR and ask and make sure you get a name, because everyone doesn't say the same thing.

I remember that you can kill a hog or coyote with whatever gun you are carrying, for whatever is in season.
So if August 15th you're in the woods for squirrel you'll either have a shotgun or .22, so you could use those, but you can't hunt squirrel with a high powered rifle, so you can't be caught with one of those.

Sorry, but that's about all I remember bud.
that makes sense / thanks

As long as you are legal to hunt whatever is in season, coyotes can be taken.

Can be out there with your .308 "hunting squirrels" with night vision.

Those rules apply for WMA's...if you're on national forest land that is NOT a part of a WMA, then you can hunt them anytime. WMA's have rules that are separate from National Forest land. Or private property as stated above...

Both kinda true.

You can hunt coyotes all year long on wma WHEN something is in season and you are using the appropriate weapon for that season.

I.E. When squirrel season opens you can be hunting squirrel with your .22lr and take a coyote.
If you want to hunt coyotes on a WMA that allows squirrel hunting, at least take your .22wmr "squirrel hunting"

Back
Top Bottom