• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can you old guys do math?

What is base 6 used in?
The minds of people with too much time on their hands. I don't, off the top of my head, know of a conventional use for base 6. Base 2 is obviously used extensively in computer hardware, and for that matter so too is base 16 for software. We use a quasi base-60 system for measuring time. Like I've already said, I myself am not aware of what, if any, conventional uses for base 6 there are.

For various reasons, base 6 is overall more efficient than base 10. However, the world is so invested into base 10 than the inconvenience of switching to a new base system heavily outweighs the real but minor benefits of using base 6 instead of base 10.

People who have lost an arm, only have one hand to count on.
Best use of base 6 ever...lol
An interesting advantage of base six is that on 10 (decimal) fingers you can count to 35 (decimal) instead of only to.. well.. 10. With one hand you go between 0-5, and on the other hand you hold the tens (seximal, in decimal it would be 6).

Reactions: GFB
An interesting advantage of base six is that on 10 (decimal) fingers you can count to 35 (decimal) instead of only to.. well.. 10. With one hand you go between 0-5, and on the other hand you hold the tens (seximal, in decimal it would be 6).
Got it. Hold the seximal in the other hand. I’ll give it a shot.

Back
Top Bottom