• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Car audio short circuit.

No2sc2

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Banned Permanently
37   1
Reaction score
Anyone here experience in that field? I took my subwoofers out one day and forgot to tape the ends up and it got short circuited. Now all my speakers sound like its blown and my apm "protect" light came on.

Anyone here experience in that field? I took my subwoofers out one day and forgot to tape the ends up and it got short circuited. Now all my speakers sound like its blown and my apm "protect" light came on.

I've seen this a few times, and more often than not it was burnt components in the output section of the amplifier. I would take the main fuse out immediately until you can get it checked out by a shop. Once the protection circuit is compromised you are riding with a fire hazard.

Btw- I have 18 years experience as a car audio installer and competitor.

Check your fuses, thats what they're there for.

What you mean? I have a sound system. I checked the ground wire that was installed and checked my "fuse" connector near the battery. Everything looks normal. I think the short circuit is somewhere behind the dash in the navigation system. I got sick and tired of speakers sounding like their blown and humming, buzzing, I just removed the fuse so it would cut all sound from the car.

I've seen this a few times, and more often than not it was burnt components in the output section of the amplifier. I would take the main fuse out immediately until you can get it checked out by a shop. Once the protection circuit is compromised you are riding with a fire hazard.

Btw- I have 18 years experience as a car audio installer and competitor.

Yeah I took the AMP out and opened it up. No evidence of burnt spots or blown fuses. Everything looked fine except it was burning hot! Yeah I removed the main fuse from the wire thats connected to the battery. Now no more sound and power going to the speakers and AMP. I still got my regular car power like my lights and navigation.

What you mean? I have a sound system. I checked the ground wire that was installed and checked my "fuse" connector near the battery. Everything looks normal. I think the short circuit is somewhere behind the dash in the navigation system. I got sick and tired of speakers sounding like their blown and humming, buzzing, I just removed the fuse so it would cut all sound from the car.

I mean check EVERY fuse. You created a direct short that went through everything tied in with the audio system. From the sound of it you might have fried something in the circuit board of the radio/amp depending on your setup. I dont know your vehicle/setup/wiring configuration etc.

Yeah I took the AMP out and opened it up. No evidence of burnt spots or blown fuses. Everything looked fine except it was burning hot! Yeah I removed the main fuse from the wire thats connected to the battery. Now no more sound and power going to the speakers and AMP. I still got my regular car power like my lights and navigation.

Something you could try (although time consuming) is unhook EVERYTHING audio related. Then slowly bring components back on the system until your noise returns or you trip something out.

The thing you gotta realize about electronics is that the damage isn't always visible, ESPECIALLY by someone who doesn't know what they are looking at. Output fets, power rail transistors, power switches, mosfets, turn on relays, protection relays, and so many more things can fail with no visible indication.

Does the factory stuff still sound ok? If so it's prob an amp issue. A direct short should have blown a fuse either on the amp or the power wire up by the battery. What size fuses are there? A short causes it to over amp, which shouldn't affect the factory stuff I wouldn't think. It would affect the power going to the amp(which is just the power wire for amp off the battery), or the output of the amp if the fuse didn't do it's job and the amp received too much current. Are you handy with a multimeter?

Back
Top Bottom