• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Truck/car Stereos

Gordylew

Firefighter Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
189   0
Reaction score
Since I throw nothing away and drive a vehicle until it wears a vintage tag, my 2 main rides are a 2000 Toyota 4runner and a 1994 Toyota 4wd Pickup ( pre Tacoma). Both have the original stereo in them. I'm looking to upgrade both to something with blue tooth since I'm about deaf and like the ability to talk on the phone while driving. Last time I bought a car stereo they were several hundred dollars . I'm looking on Amazon and Ebay and I see most are priced under $150. Are there any particular brands that are not cheap crap? I guess they are all made in China now. Any suggestions?

I bought a SONY for my wife last year, and it's really nice. Blu Tooth connect, microphone for hands free driving, USB charge / connection port, CD player (yes, still), 18 FM presets and 12 AM, even her built in steering wheel controls will work. Multiple display colors to match your interior lights, connects to Pandora and Spotify. It was about $120 from Crutchfield.com.

You hop in the car and it links to your phone before you've backed out of the garage. Makes an old car feel like a new one. You can't go wrong with SONY.

I HIGHLY recommend crutchfield.com, especially if you're looking for easy connection. I went on their website and told them the features I wanted. It asked specific questions about the car, and gave me all the stuff I would need - adapters to connect to the existing wiring, the steering wheel controls, and the installation kit. Once I ordered it I got an email with detailed instructions on how to wire everything up, easy peasy. I've installed a few higher powered, multiple amplifier systems in the past so I've got a bit of experience with wiring - but to just replace the head unit the installation kit is the way to go. They were competitive with Amazon pricing.

+3 for Crutchfield. Their prices are "ok" but the knowledge they have for almost all vehicles (including everything you'd need for installation to make most install plug and play) is unmatched. I've been into car audio a long time both professionally and now as a hobby and built/installed some fairly complicated systems and I still go to Crutchfield for reference material.

To be honest, all we are doing these days is mirroring our phones to a screen via CarPlay. I put Amazon radios in 2 vehicles so far and have been very happy with them. They were very easy to wire and come with back cameras. I have less than $200 updating my 2010 F150. That included radio, dash kit, and wiring harness.

IMG_1275.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom