• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Car audio short circuit.

Amp out puts gone if it's getting that hot but undo all speakers and see if protect goes off if so hook up one speaker at a time until light comes back on. If a speakers voice coil is burnt it can cause what you are describing. Hope this helps

Disconnect the amp completely. If it's not the output stage of the amp that's blown, the power supply section is. The amp is toast, I have no doubt about it. If I had to guess from the symptoms, I'd say half of the power supply is blown if all of the speakers sound like crap.

Amp out puts gone if it's getting that hot but undo all speakers and see if protect goes off if so hook up one speaker at a time until light comes back on. If a speakers voice coil is burnt it can cause what you are describing. Hope this helps

Wouldn't I have to disconnect the car battery to unhook the wires? I don't want to stick Allen wrench when everything is hooked up. Last time I unhooked it all to open up the amp, I had removed the power from the battery. I guess I could undo the power from the battery and do each wire. It would probably be time consuming. I'll definitely do it when I have time thanksgiving!

When power has no where to go, it goes back to the power section and burns the amp up. Same thing happens to music gear when you crank an amp up and forget to plug it into a cab.....poof go the output transformers or more.....

Well JL says $120 to fix it. Its a crappy amp now anyways. Its not worth fixing. When I bought it 7 years ago, it was nice AMP but now its like $300 on ebay. I don't think its worth fixing. I'll just try to get this short fix and get a new amp or something. I hadn't had time to get it looked at yet but I plan to diagnose it myself here soon. I will narrow it down to where the short is and if its somewhere I can get to, I'll fix it but if not, I'll get a professional! I appreciate you guys help! I will definitely give Juan a call if I can't figure this out HIAT!

Back
Top Bottom