Carb swap or ?

just went thru this with a TTR125 that I rebuilt/fixed up and traded for a TTR50 for my daughter.

pull the carb. order new jets (don't bother trying to clean the ones in it, just order new ones). either factory/OE jets or aftermarket buy get NEW jets. check all rubber things for cracks and breaks (hoses, carb slides, etc) and then toss it all into a tub of Yamaha Carb Cleaner. It's about $10 for a bottle, dilute it with hot water and soak the stuff overnight. clean off, blow out with compressed air, put it all together with the new jets and it should run like a champ. Unless you switch the breather/gas line like I did and chase the overflowing bowl for a few days before finding your mistake.

lube cables, adjust idle, and you'll be good to go.

check the forums for CRF100f jetting, in many cases a slight change to the pilot jet will help it warm up quicker and run better.

I had a CRF 150 doing the exact same thing. The previous owner had taken the spark arrestor out of the muffler "uncorked" and had let it sit awhile as well. A new muffler insert and a super cheap carb rebuilt kit and it ran like a scalded dog. The carb kit is around $20 and includes new jets, screws and seals.

The small CRF bikes have the most simple carbs on the planet. DO NOT try to "clean" it by pouring some additive in the fuel. You have to physically take apart the carb (it's very easy).

Plus...Clean the gas tank and replace any fuel filters. This is a cheap fix I promise.

I had a CRF 150 doing the exact same thing. The previous owner had taken the spark arrestor out of the muffler "uncorked" and had let it sit awhile as well. A new muffler insert and a super cheap carb rebuilt kit and it ran like a scalded dog. The carb kit is around $20 and includes new jets, screws and seals.

The small CRF bikes have the most simple carbs on the planet. DO NOT try to "clean" it by pouring some additive in the fuel. You have to physically take apart the carb (it's very easy).

Plus...Clean the gas tank and replace any fuel filters. This is a cheap fix I promise.
He said he''s done nothing to it (muffler is quiet). Heck, I just went ahead and ordered a new carb ($30). I'll swap it and see how it does and clean the old one regardless. Me and tiny parts don't have a real good history. I had to go with backup.

this is 100% correct..^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i was told im keeping it by my 4 year old baby girl...she loves to ride
image-jpeg.810098

Well,,, just like any mans daughter,, she IS the boss.. LOL

Heck, I just went ahead and ordered a new carb ($30). I'll swap it and see how it does and clean the old one regardless
Well carb just came in. OEM has a fixed, 3 position choke to allow for both hands on bars for kick starting and unattended warm up. New one is spring loaded. Not sure how that's supposed to work? :confused: Especially for a 13 year old. :mmph:
Speaking of 13 year olds, took a very quick spin on it yesterday... slid around one corner and was "13 again". Got more aggressive around next curve and low sided quick as a hiccup. Was immediately 50 again (and beat up). This morning I'm about 80.

Well carb just came in. OEM has a fixed, 3 position choke to allow for both hands on bars for kick starting and unattended warm up. New one is spring loaded. Not sure how that's supposed to work? :confused: Especially for a 13 year old. :mmph:
Speaking of 13 year olds, took a very quick spin on it yesterday... slid around one corner and was "13 again". Got more aggressive around next curve and low sided quick as a hiccup. Was immediately 50 again (and beat up). This morning I'm about 80.
LOL
Ouch

Not funny. :p Been a LONG time since I had dirt rash.:becky:
Adding insult to (literal) injury, I think I compressed my dang spine too when the rear shock bottomed out heading down the (steep rutted) road. I'm only 175#. That shouldn't have happened. Hope it doesn't need new shocks.
I have to buy him a new gear shifter...

Not funny. :p Been a LONG time since I had dirt rash.:becky:
Adding insult to (literal) injury, I think I compressed my dang spine too when the rear shock bottomed out heading down the (steep rutted) road. I'm only 175#. That shouldn't have happened. Hope it doesn't need new shocks.
I have to buy him a new gear shifter...
Pain just means we are alive.

Back
Top Bottom