• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Paint polishing or rubbing compound?

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
What's a good product to use on 20+ year old automotive paint on steel?

I have not used Turtle Wax products in 30 years-- the car rubbing compound followed by the wax. NEVER tried them on very old paint that was faded and would leave a white chalky residue on your finger if you rubbed it.

I just tried Nu-Finish (the "once a year" car polish.) It was easy on, easy off, but seemed to make no difference in the color of the paint. The loose chalky residue was gone, but the light faded color on the painted steel remained.

Years ago I used Starbrite products that worked very well. Took old dull paint and made it shine like new. I see it is still available. Not sure if it still works like it did 30 years ago.

This stuff works well.

What's a good product to use on 20+ year old automotive paint on steel?

I have not used Turtle Wax products in 30 years-- the car rubbing compound followed by the wax. NEVER tried them on very old paint that was faded and would leave a white chalky residue on your finger if you rubbed it.

I just tried Nu-Finish (the "once a year" car polish.) It was easy on, easy off, but seemed to make no difference in the color of the paint. The loose chalky residue was gone, but the light faded color on the painted steel remained.
What color is the paint?

Colors in the red family tend to fade the most from sun exposure. Past a certain point it's not coming back.

Another factor - most likely the paint is a base coat/clear coat finish, meaning the wax is polishing the outer clear coat and not touching the color.

Here's a car I worked on a few years back. Rescuing the paint required progressive wet sanding with 1500,2500, and 5000 grit paper - then a high speed polish with compound and a foam pad.

CVPI3.jpg
CVPI4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom