Carrying ammunition on a plane

KingTuna

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
15   0
Reaction score
I'm going to NM soon for business. Buddy of mine says 22 LR is easy to find. I want to bring back a few boxes but have some concerns. I plan on buying a few boxes and putting them in my checked bag. I read that I cannot have more than 11 lbs of ammo including the container. I plan on tying them up in the bag from the store and leaving them in the original boxes. I know I have to tell them when I check my baggage. Does this sound correct? Also, how much does a 500 round brick weigh? I would guess 5 lbs?

UPS. Otherwise the TSA nitwits will make your bags take the scenic route.

I wouldn't even bother unless you have a hookup on super cheap. .22 isn't that rare.

Yeah, about five pounds each, so you're limited to two bricks, but they are very unlikely to weigh it. Transporting ammo is no problem, and exactly as you stated. Personally, I'd carry an ammo can (plastic) to put them in to protect them. Or at least find a cardboard box and some tape. Luggage gets dropped and slammed a lot. I'd try to keep the bricks from getting mangled, if they're the paper box kind of boxes-in-a-brick.

I'm not sure if you have to declare the ammo if you have no firearm-- I've always had both. No sweat-- even handloads hauled to Africa. But if they want you to declare it, then do so. They may send you to the TSA, but that's no problem either, at least in Atlanta... dunno about NM.

Back
Top Bottom