• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carrying in the post office?

So?
That's not an expiration date,
a "sell by" or
"best if used by" date.
It is merely the authority cite by which the poster was posted. Nothing else. What the Post Office did with it or may still do with it (if the law and authority it represents still exists) is not something about which I commented.

The post office / federal facility gun ban is about 50 years old. The signs, just like federal income tax form 1040, just like gun transaction form number 4473, gets revised periodically. The tweaking of the forms or signs is no big deal, legally.

18 U.S. Code § 930 - Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities​

prev | next
(a)
Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
(b)
Whoever, with intent that a firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime, knowingly possesses or causes to be present such firearm or dangerous weapon in a Federal facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
(c)
A person who kills any person in the course of a violation of subsection (a) or (b), or in the course of an attack on a Federal facility involving the use of a firearm or other dangerous weapon, or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be punished as provided in sections 1111, 1112, 1113, and 1117.
(d)Subsection (a) shall not apply to—
(1)
the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;
(2)
the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or
(3)
the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

Seems like the possession of a Weapons Carry Permit (and more recently passage of Constitutional Carry would fall under "...lawful purposes."

It has always struck me as ironic that the very government charges with protecting our Constitutional Rights are the ones trying to limit that right.

Did something change about carrying in the post office? My local has had the no weapons code section yada Yada Yada sign up for years and all of a sudden it's gone.
Have you never heard the term going postal??! Plus I took the sign and now use it for target practice…

Back
Top Bottom