• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Case neck size issue brass vs. nickel plated

jbales

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
16   0
Reaction score
I am loading some 22-250 rounds, half are Remington Brass cases, the other half are Remington Nickel plated cases. I am using the 53gr VMAX (.224) bullets. Using the brass cases bullet seating was just fine, but the first nickel plated case was significantly harder to load and cut the bullet up bad. I looked at a similar case and it measures .219-.220 ID, and with a .224 OD bullet it seems that its just too tight. This is my first attempt at using nickel plated rifle cases, with straight-wall pistol rounds I have had no issues, but the case mouth expander likely masks any difference in thickness I would have seen. I used imperial on the bullet and the case mouth (vs just the bullet) on the second case and it made no difference.

What is the ideal ID of a case for a .224 bullet? I didn't measure the brass cases and don't want to pull a bullet to see, but clearly something is different.
Thanks.
JB

Last edited:
I've loaded plated pistol brass and they often are a bit stiffer especially 357sig, but never had a problem with seating the projectile .

I thought so, they were shiny around the rim with a slight "bevel". Prepped them all the same, I didn't really crank on them or anything, but will go back and see if a little more will make a difference.

Find a boat tail bullet for those cases, the bullet will become you expander ball and move your case necks out or invest in a neck bushing type sizing die and order an over size bushing

Nickeled brass sucks. It's more trouble than it's worth. It's harder and a lot less malleable. It'll crack a lot sooner than most any standard brass case will.

I don't bend over for any nickeled case.

Quick update: On a suggestion, I picked up some 55 gr boat tail VMAX bullets and they load much easier than the 53 Flat Base ones I was trying yesterday. No visible copper peeling off the bullet like before. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom