Case trimmers

I have a drill press or a metal lathe to hold that Tri Cutter. I wouldn't bother with a hand drill. Any other reason to forgo it over the $440 trimmer?

I have a drill press or a metal lathe to hold that Tri Cutter. I wouldn't bother with a hand drill. Any other reason to forgo it over the $440 trimmer?

Hard to beat the logic behind that decision, especially when looking at only one or two calibers.
You could actually set up a on a dedicated electric motor with a few pulleys attached to shafts that drive brushes, primer pocket cleaners, etc.
This would make case preparation a breeze.

LOL, Don't need or have room for a lathe or drill press and I trim, chamfer and deburr thousands of cases a year. If you are only doing a hundred every six months, I'd do the hand drill thing.

Hard to beat the logic behind that decision, especially when looking at only one or two calibers.
You could actually set up a on a dedicated electric motor with a few pulleys attached to shafts that drive brushes, primer pocket cleaners, etc.

This would make case preparation a breeze.

That sir is an understatement.

About three weeks ago I ordered two for .308 and .223. They came setup and ready to go. I had started trimming .308 brass in bulk but it's time consuming and tedious work that I frankly despise.

No more!

In less that 1/4 of the time and without the frustration I knocked out 2/3 of the work load. This "TRI WAY TRIMMER" is great. Yeah you can set on the couch and trim brass as the shavings stay in the unit.

http://www.giraudtool.com/Tri%20Way%20Trimmer.htm

Here is some pics:

Started with this.

i60.tinypic.com_5wgmfq.jpg

Drill press flipped over and secured.

i59.tinypic.com_2mow2og.jpg

The cutting head before.

i60.tinypic.com_1hb7r5.jpg

During actual trimming.

i62.tinypic.com_2cdc3f8.jpg

Perfectly trimmed AND chamfered case.

i59.tinypic.com_dekx6v.jpg

The tool head after with the shavings held.

i59.tinypic.com_xawhue.jpg

I no longer despise trimming brass.....

i60.tinypic.com_2zgzpuc.jpg

I used to use a Forster with its collets and it drove me to buy another - a Wilson. Haven't received to yet, but from watching youtube, I think I'm gonna like it. Bought case holders for 223, 380, 38, 357, 44 mag, 30.06, 30-30 and 45-70.

We have the big brother full size "GIRAUD", it is the cats pajamas, it is the king of all the trimmers. Doug Giraud, it a great guy,
a very good competitor in long range shooting. We have a friend who has the 338 Lapua, and he bought the cutter, and holder and gave them to us so we would trim his brass for him
. "GIRAUD" trimmers a great addition to any reloaders bag of equipment.

You will be adding equipment and items to your shelves the more and longer you enjoy your new found passion for years to come.

it really comes down to how much $$ you care to spend as well as how many different calibers and how many in those calibers.. if you have hunting rifles of various calibers then something like the Lyman universal works great for small quantities.

for large numbers of the same caliber then then automated units like the Giraud or even the Dillon electronic unit work great.

I've had the Dillon for quite a while and it works great. trims and sizes at the same time.. trims so clean no real need to chamfer for something like the 223 or 308. they are not cheap but not quite the price of a Giraud...

lots of options these days

Back
Top Bottom