• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

CB Radio Questions

CB is typically only going to reach 3 - 4 miles factory stock. Just like anything you can modify it to make it receive and transmit further. A cobra 29 is a very good CB especially if you wind up leaving it stock. The pricier cb's have reverberations and split channels built-in.

3-4 miles wouldnt be bad, Like I said it would mostly be for talking around the neighborhood during emergencies, or SHTF type scenarios.

Now I was looking online for reviews and such, and saw something on the export radios. They have more power it says, but it looks to me like they would be illegal to use but not buy??

And is there a good online site to pick up the radio accessories, or to read up on general cb know-how?

Any transmission from a CB is federally regulated to 4 Watts of power. The cheapos can't be modified any. The cobra has a dead key of 3 Watts modulate to 4 Watts. A good CB shop can modify it to dead key at 1/2 Watt and replacing the finals modulate to 40 Watts. Then you can add amps to go to anywhere from 100 Watts up to 1000 Watts. Now just like car stereo equipment you may have to add more alternator's and batteries to drive them. Typically if you can get 20 Watts out of it then it'll transmit further than you can receive. I don't know of any books all my knowledge came at the expense of my wallet and assorted CB shops across the country. Get the cobra install it and enjoy bro!

Back
Top Bottom