• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CC in Post Office?

oxbat

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
113   0
Reaction score
I was in the post office Wednesday to ship an "ODT trade " when I heard this conversation ....I am fourth in line when this "Guy" comes in and starts talking to the postman, apparently knowing each other, and pissing me off in the process (I need tot get back to work). Anyway, the guy behind me is talking crap about having learned some new moves, and I'll get you next time. They were friendly /kidding, mabey martial arts rivals? Anyway, the postman says MY BACK POCKET AIN'T EMPTY. Now the guy is like "oh, its gonna be like that" still kidding /joking. The postman is now backtracking, saying something like it's dark when I leave here, and I've got a long way home. Anyway, again, my take from this was that the POSTMAN in the POST OFFICE was carrying a weapon. Now my understanding is that the post office is a federal building, IE no CC. Not to mention a "going postal" postman is carrying. Just an observation, what's YOUR take?

My understanding was it was illegal due to it being a Federal building....Now places like Ups, Fed -ex etc. are ok...

Some postal employes carry rather large knives since they are not allowed to carry firearms...

He could have just been joking. Take it with a grain of salt.

i42.tinypic.com_jky2c0.png

Iirc, the wording of the law says you can carry there incidental to hunting or other legal activity. Don't recall exactly, but I think that's pretty close. Now, is carrying in accordance with state law considered a "legal activity"? I'm not sure if this has been tested or had any established case law. I'm not sure what the practical application is. But it seems to me that a plain understanding says its ok.

No, I'm not willing to be the test case ;-)

You cannot even have a gun in the car in the parking lot of the USPS, you can be arrested. learned that from Tom Gresham last week on Gun Talk.

Postal emplyees are bound by their regulations. Is it possible the other guy was some sort of LEO, Federal, state, local, Judge, DA, ect? That would make it legal as I read the federal laws. HR218

Hey, he can have a 12ga over his sholder for all I care, and should be allowed to. That being said, and the law being what it is, I just found it odd for a postman to in the post office referring to carrying a weapon in front of people he didn't know.

Kinda off track, but if you can ship a primitive firearm (I shipped a 1952 era 30-30) to an FFL holder through the post office, how's that figure in?

Back
Top Bottom