CCW in Georgia Dome?

Seems to me that if it would be OK at the Airport, that inside the Dome would be OK, as well. No real difference, a lot of people in one place.

Then again, the Airport is under City of Atlanta control, and I believe the GWCC and Dome are under the Authority of the State of GA.

Two differnt Gov entities may see this differntly.

Good question, really.

Concealed is concealed ....but if you are made, and carry in that building is deemed to be illegal, you face a misdemeanor.

That's no fun, at all.

tell that to the apd....go into a mall open carry with signs at the entrance and see if you dont come back out cuffed and disarmed....

that may fly outside the city, but when dealing with Atlanta officers or GSP you're SOL

Important aspect to criminal trespass is whether the offending party knew they were not welcome at that place, time, or circumstance. (not a quote) Depending on the court the signs may be proof that the person "knew"
Call ahead and find out.

tell that to the apd....go into a mall open carry with signs at the entrance and see if you dont come back out cuffed and disarmed....

that may fly outside the city, but when dealing with Atlanta officers or GSP you're SOL

I doubt these things will be happening anymore. Since the eagle bar settlement. The police are being retrained as not to violate constitutional rights. The city does not have the money to keep losing million $ lawsuits.
Hell, a GPDO member OC a Draco pistol on marta, and at the airport, with no leo contact at all.

I doubt these things will be happening anymore. Since the eagle bar settlement. The police are being retrained as not to violate constitutional rights. The city does not have the money to keep losing million $ lawsuits.
Hell, a GPDO member OC a Draco pistol on marta, and at the airport, with no leo contact at all.

Even though legal that took some major balls....dang....

HAH! Yeah, If I saw a fella with a draco pistol on marta.... Id sit next to him/her. Id feel snug as a bug ;)

****** 5 Minutes to Kickoff !!! ***********

"Excuse me sir, it appears you have a firearm on your person."

"Yes, I do, so what of it, I can carry in here, it's not against the Law!"

"Sir, there are No Firearms signs posted. I am afraid you'll have to leave. If you refuse to leave, you will be charged with trespass. No sir, we have no facility or area to store your firearm, by posting our signage we decided such was not necessary."

----- So, you now have to get up from your seat, and go to the parking lot, and place your gun in your car. Then, with most of LE's and Security's focus on the inside of the Dome, or just outside at the Gates, you get to walk back, unarmed, to the Gate, missing who knows how much of the game, and exposing yourself to what hangs around in the parking area.

Or you get to go home.

Or you can get involved in an altercation with Security or LE, again missing the game.

Just sayin'.

All kidding aside, I think (IANAL) it would be legal.

The GWCC, Dome, and Centennial Park are State run, by an Authority.

I don't believe the Board actually meets inside the Dome, so

§ 16-11-127. Carrying weapons in unauthorized locations; penalty

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:

(3) "Government building" means:

(A) The building in which a government entity is housed;

(B) The building where a government entity meets in its official capacity; provided, however, that if such building is not a publicly owned building, such building shall be considered a government building for the purposes of this Code section only during the time such government entity is meeting at such building; or

(C) The portion of any building that is not a publicly owned building that is occupied by a government entity.

(4) "Government entity" means an office, agency, authority, department, commission, board, body, division, instrumentality, or institution of the state or any county, municipal corporation, consolidated government, or local board of education within this state.

probably would not apply.

The Authority CAN make its own Ordinances, but they cannot be in controversion of State Law.

OCGA TITLE 10. COMMERCE AND TRADE
CHAPTER 9. GEO. L. SMITH II GEORGIA WORLD CONGRESS CENTER
ARTICLE 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS

O.C.G.A. § 10-9-4 (2010)

§ 10-9-4. Purpose of authority; powers generally

(b) The authority shall have the following powers:

(3) To make and alter bylaws, rules, and regulations, not inconsistent with law, for the administration and regulation of its business and affairs;

(12) To exercise any power usually possessed by private corporations performing similar functions which is not in conflict with the Constitution and the laws of the State of Georgia; and

O.C.G.A. § 10-9-4.1 (2010)

§ 10-9-4.1. Adoption and enforcement of ordinances relating to property, affairs, and administration of authority; penalties

(a) In addition to and not in derogation of its other powers under this chapter, the authority is empowered to exercise such of the police powers of the state as may be necessary to maintain peace and order.

(b) The authority shall have legislative power to adopt reasonable ordinances relating to the property, affairs, and administration of the authority for which no provision has been made by general law and which are not inconsistent with the general laws and Constitution of the State of Georgia and the laws and Constitution of the United States.

Just as a guess, I'd think the Authority Board DOES met in the GWCC offices, and their Administration Offices are there .....so carry in that building would probably be illegal.

I can attest for the fact that I have never seen ANY sort of harassment or crime on the MARTA or around the Dome. It's moving rapidly through Atlanta but they have cameras and pigs on every stop. I would agree not to bring your piece, if they DO happen to pat your lovely self down and find your piece then ask you to leave, you have no place to put your girl. That would suck.

Back
Top Bottom