• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Change of patterns

Ours changes when
1-summer pattern wherever the food is plentiful spring-August
2-shed velvet—detecting there home range-acorns start dropping (sept)
3-rut-wherever she’s at starts around nov10-thru thanksgiving
4- after rut -around mid dec in Macon county they return to home range if not killed.

Changing of patterns absolutely is true and happens. Deer change their patterns for a variety of reasons. Around this time of year, the biggest cause of change generally is photoperiod. As the days shorten, testosterone production increases in bucks to trigger the hardening of antlers and shedding of velvet. Bucks begin to become territorial and those big bachelor groups that are seen in summer become scattered as they fight to establish dominance and their home range. Another cause is the browse and forage they consume for the majority of their diet changes from green plants, soft mast (berries, muscadines, fruits), and forbs to mostly acorns and field grasses (food plots if you have them!). Also, hunting pressure that starts up can push a deer to change their normal patterns such as their bedding areas or routes they take to food sources as well as the times they feed (deer become nocturnal feeders more often). A little later, the rut will throw chaos into any pattern. As to the time of these events in Central GA specifically, I don't know. mfoster mfoster certainly knows about deer and deer hunting based on the posts I have seen him make here on the subject. His post is probably a good reference.

I also think human presence plays a factor,all of a sudden people all in woods working on food plots,cutting shooting lanes,moving stands,clearing roads,checking cameras,checking zero on deer rifles.thanks Whatchagot87 Whatchagot87 for the compliment,I think every area is a little different just pay attention from year to year most will be the same.

The biggest change this time of year is the thinning of the forest. Leaves have been dropping for a month, and really accelerates from now forward.

Back
Top Bottom