Bad Box of TSS

Smoothrj

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
7   0
Reaction score
Federal Premium TSS
12 gauge 7-9 shot

1st shot out of this box last year wasn’t on paper. I had no confidence in my set up after this. Considered multiple changes…messed around and didn’t change anything..

2 shot out of this box a couple of weeks ago at a target was money…so today I went hunting and called in my 1st turkey that I had a good chance to get..

3rd shot out of this box…I know my hold was solid…no turkey…

4th shot I could have rushed…also no turkey

5th shot out of this box…Turkey flys in the tree above me…I’m thinking he is injured…I take my time and line up the shot…it like there was no powder…TSS rolls out the end of my barrel…

I have never had any issues with any other Federal products…

Congrats on fooling the Tom…..that is an accomplishment itself. Hate that you didn’t get to tote him out over your shoulder.

I stopped using Federal after they discontinued the Mag Shok Heavyweight 15g/cc tungsten line several years ago. Their current run of tungsten loads are sub-par.
Look at Apex, Rogue or Foxtrot ammo. The difference in price and consistency from shot to shot is well worth it.

Congrats on fooling the Tom…..that is an accomplishment itself. Hate that you didn’t get to tote him out over your shoulder.

I stopped using Federal after they discontinued the Mag Shok Heavyweight 15g/cc tungsten line several years ago. Their current run of tungsten loads are sub-par.
Look at Apex, Rogue or Foxtrot ammo. The difference in price and consistency from shot to shot is well worth it.
I'll echo this statement. The small batch companies mentioned are top notch and I've never seen any issue with them. As a handloader the 12go loads from foxtrot are an almost identical load I load up. Same with the 20ga loads from apex.

I patterned that mixed shot a few years back with horrible results. I switched to the #9 TSS and haven't had any issues other that the kick. Possibly a bad batch or it was exposed to severe moisture during transport or storage.

I'll echo this statement. The small batch companies mentioned are top notch and I've never seen any issue with them. As a handloader the 12go loads from foxtrot are an almost identical load I load up. Same with the 20ga loads from apex.
I know from pattern testing that your turkey loads rival that of both Apex and Foxtrot.

I would shoot Winchester longbeard XR before I shot the federal TSS, its possibly the worst of all the TSS loads available.
If you're going to shoot TSS I would shoot Apex. I dont think Apex is necessarily the best you can get but id say it is in the top 3 TSS loads. The reason I shoot it is because its the easiest to get your hands on out of all the best TSS and its one of the most popular so there are a lot of great choke makers making chokes specifically for Apex ammo or with Apex in mind. As far as the Best TSS I think Fox Trot is the best (but nearly impossible to get because so many want it) I personally think Apex is the next best you can get.

Another thing to consider, is your choke. You don't want to shoot TSS out of a traditional turkey choke that has very tight constriction because the pattern has a tendency to blow out. That wouldnt explain why your last shot rolled out of the barrel but it might explain the others.

Back
Top Bottom