• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Changing from street/sport to Dual sport motorcycle riding?

I want one of the new Kamasaki 650 dual sport jobs. They list from 4,990 to 6,990. We have so many mountain trails up here it would nice to rip those up. Not to mention running to the store and back on pennies worth of gas. The gas savings alone just running back and forth to Lynchburg would pay for itself in a couple years. I am seriously looking at one. I am not a brand snob so Honda, KTM or Suzuki would do. Just whatever one runs the smoothest and has a nice power curve. Whatever I can find a good deal on pre-owned and kept in pristine condition. They are out there I just have to look. It takes me ten bucks worth of gas just to get to the doctors, pharmacy, a quick run to the grocery or anything along those lines. I want one very badly.

This is what I'm talking about. A 650 has great power on the road Plus massive quantities of torque in the dirt. Be an excellent size bike for both purposes.

Tellico got closed
Parsons branch got closed
The USFS has closed just about every road

I’ve not seen that site before , I checked out a few locations I’m familiar with

Gravelmap makes no distinction between hiking trails and trails where motorcycles are allowed
You have to do your homework. Once you find a place that’s a good possibility. You have to search deeper by using “Google”.
Peeples lake Rd up in Chatsworth is a prime example. I found it on Gravelmap. Looked deeper into it and found it to be a good ride It also dead ends into an OHV trail

Attachments

• IMG_3032.jpeg
    IMG_3032.jpeg
    791.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3031.jpeg
    IMG_3031.jpeg
    670.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3030.jpeg
    IMG_3030.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3029.jpeg
    IMG_3029.jpeg
    1,023.5 KB · Views: 17
When I lived in the mountains I owned a SL 175 and XL 250 a CB 350 a trail 90 a TT250 and several more

In the city now so I sold them all to keep from getting killed
I bought a 72 CB 500 shortly after my wife and I got married. She was concerned. I told her if she got pregnant, I would sell my bike. I felt that was the responsible thing to do

My wife and I camped on Upper Chatahoohee River Rd just north of Helen this past weekend. It's a nice USFS road for dual sport bikes, and we saw 7 or 8 come through there over the weekend.

I ride a 2004 KTM 450 EXC and absolutely love it. I would jump on that bike and ride it anywhere anytime. Best thing to do with any dual sport is to get the bike sized to you, get the springs in the forks and the shock spring to the right spring rate for your weight. Do that and it will ride great. The 450 exc can be found all over facebook. It’s not a long distance tourer unless your butt can handle it and people do, but it’s just plain fun. Just to get on a bike and ride and see a trail going off the pavement or a power line with trails on it and sitting there thinking if I had a dual sport I could check that out. If you’re looking at the DRZ400 grab the Super Moto version and then get dirt tires for it. The super moto version has way better suspension than the regular one. The forks are closer to a motocross style fork than the standard. They make a good set of dual sport tires for that bike that are super moto sized. That’s the route I would go if I wanted a DRZ.

Attachments

• 20230511_162925_Original.jpeg
    20230511_162925_Original.jpeg
    420.5 KB · Views: 15
I ride a 2004 KTM 450 EXC and absolutely love it. I would jump on that bike and ride it anywhere anytime. Best thing to do with any dual sport is to get the bike sized to you, get the springs in the forks and the shock spring to the right spring rate for your weight. Do that and it will ride great. The 450 exc can be found all over facebook. It’s not a long distance tourer unless your butt can handle it and people do, but it’s just plain fun. Just to get on a bike and ride and see a trail going off the pavement or a power line with trails on it and sitting there thinking if I had a dual sport I could check that out. If you’re looking at the DRZ400 grab the Super Moto version and then get dirt tires for it. The super moto version has way better suspension than the regular one. The forks are closer to a motocross style fork than the standard. They make a good set of dual sport tires for that bike that are super moto sized. That’s the route I would go if I wanted a DRZ.
I started riding at age 13 when I got a Yamaha YZ80. I ride that thing everywhere. The when I moved to Oklahoma the little town was in the middle of nowhere. So I got a new Yamaha Virago at age 15 because I lived in the edge of town and could be in the middle of open road expanse forever. I got my second Virago in 1989 when I moved to Georgia. I haven't ridden in a while but I have always had a fondness of KTM bikes. They were all that and a bag of chips even back then. I would love to happen upon one of those but I am just looking for the best find at this point. One with low miles, excellent condition and the right size. I always had a thing for the Yamaha TT line up as well. Whatever I find that is the right one. Kind of like the used truck I purchased. I wasn't stuck on one manufacturer just had to be a good low mile, well taken care of truck.

Back
Top Bottom