Charleston ? Any recommendations?

I took the wife and kids there for the first time just last month. We had a blast. We took a boat tour of the harbor and a carriage tour of the old city. If I had to pick one it would be the boat tour. You can walk the old city. You can't swim the Harbor. Our carriage tour guide even admitted that the best way to see the city is to walk it. If you're interested in history (like me) then it's a great place to visit.
We also ate at Hymans. Our meal was great and so was the service.

Charleston holds good and bad memories for me as that's where I met my ex-wife...

I do miss the food. Has anyone eaten at Shem Creek in Mt Pleasant lately? That used to be a great place when I lived there. Awesome food, right on the water, never ran into anyone from the ship.
Nothing ruins a meal like some obnoxious chief...

The Boathouse where Isle of Palms meets Sullivan's Island has a great rooftop bar that is an excellent spot to catch the sunset. The food is quite good, too.

Yorktown and Hunley are quite interesting if you are into history.

Used to be place called trawler seafood restraint was great! I haven't been in 30 years , going in September ! Got aunts and uncles and 3 cousins live there! Daughter and her family just got back and enjoyed battery and trip to fort sumpter and said theirs a submarine to tour! Grandson and his girlfriend really enjoyed folly beach! Strong undertow at folly, I can remember that well!

Charleston holds good and bad memories for me as that's where I met my ex-wife...

I do miss the food. Has anyone eaten at Shem Creek in Mt Pleasant lately? That used to be a great place when I lived there. Awesome food, right on the water, never ran into anyone from the ship.
Nothing ruins a meal like some obnoxious chief...

The Trawler was one of the places along Shem Creek in Mt Pleasant. The original Trawler burned down many years ago. A new restaurant was built in its place with a different name. There are a handful of other places along Shem Creek that are good. My favorite fun place at Shem Creek is Red's Ice House. It is nothing fancy...just a fun place with pretty good seafood choices and buckets of beer.

The campus of my old Alma Mater (The Citadel) is there; but it won't offer much to see during summer vacation months. During the school year, the corps of cadets holds a Retreat Parade on Friday afternoons. These are worthwhile seeing.

Got married at the gazebo on the battery in March 93. Big storm coming. After wedding dinner was at Shems Creek tavern. Was good. That night front of storm came through. Raised the ceiling in condo on Isle of Palms about 3”. Headed home early at 4am. Got back to Royston to meet the blizzard of 93. Good times and i would like to go back. Always said I’d get remarried when hell froze over. But i guess it did then.

Back
Top Bottom